how well are your chickens laying?

I've been supplementing light, adding three extra hours to the early morning before dawn. (Just decreased it to two since the days are getting longer.) My crew has been laying very well. Today I got thirteen eggs plus some kind of shell-less egg right before roosting that they were all fighting over - a total of fourteen eggs from fifteen hens.

Hi, im in south carolina not to far up the rd. from ya. Im getting into breeding game chickens and was wondering when the hens would start laying in my location? Also will hens lay year round with proper light and heat if needed or do they only lay several months? thanks so much

Hi, im in south carolina not to far up the rd. from ya. Im getting into breeding game chickens and was wondering when the hens would start laying in my location? Also will hens lay year round with proper light and heat if needed or do they only lay several months? thanks so much

For some reason mine have been laying machines excluding my Ameraucana and bantam cochin. I am thinking of turning off the evening light to give them a break.

I honestly have no idea when they will start to lay because I haven't ever had any games before

If it is raining all day, I will usually get 2-5 eggs. If it is cold and wet, I can safely bet that Daisy will not lay. The other hens will give me 2 or 3 if I'm lucky. Last time it rained all day, it was in the 40's and Daisy was the only one who did not lay. I don't mind this though, because she lays on all the other days that the other girls take off. Weird little birds.
lau.gif

I have a light that comes on at 4am, I have 28 layers and I average about 20 eggs a day. If the weather is cold or raining and they spend the day in the coop (by their choice) I can get 24 or 25. I have no problem getting rid of my eggs @ $2 per dozen.

Back
Top Bottom