Hudson Valley NY *chat thread*

I know mine slowed down this winter but I still get almost 6 a day. Sometimes they go a day or two without laying, or they give me three eggs (out of 12 chickens). Maybe something is coming by to visit and it's stressing them out? Maybe they're hiding them in the snow? Maybe they're just as angry as us with this super cold weather! With all the snow we've had its great to see what's been walking by your coop! Hopefully they pick back up again I hate buying eggs!

This is my first winter with chickens. I have 8 hens and my daily average eggs went from 6 eggs a day, down to 5 with the cold weather. Only thing that I can think of that I do, is I have a rope light string inside the coop that stays all all the time. I also make sure they get a good helping of scratch before bedtime on nights that are below 30 degrees.

Last edited:
I hope everyone is doing well in this frigid weather. I have had a few birds with frostbite on the toes and combs, but otherwise they are holding strong... not happy about the white stuff, but they have been poking their heads out of the coop for the sunshine.

What are everyon'e plans for the spring? I am trying to coordinate a seed/plant/egg/chick/supply swap for spring. Mainly I am hoping to trade seed varieties with folks so that I can have dozens of types of tomatoes, peppers, and squash, instead of long rows of the same thing. Anyone interested?

Hi all.

Just checking in from Warwick NY.

I was wondering what kind of egg production you're getting. We have 12 hens and are averaging 4 eggs a week for the last few weeks. 6 hens are almost 2 years old 6 are almost 1. They get plenty to eat and drink and look healthy and active. They don't go out in the snow. the door opens in the morning and they look out and go back in. they have good ventilation no heat.

Hi all.

I was wondering what kind of egg production you're getting. We have 12 hens and are averaging 4 eggs a week for the last few weeks. 6 hens are almost 2 years old 6 are almost 1. They get plenty to eat and drink and look healthy and active. They don't go out in the snow. the door opens in the morning and they look out and go back in. they have good ventilation no heat.
Almost nothing right now from 30 hens, most of mine are 4 years, but even my younger pullets are non-productive right now. I use this time to worm them and to make sure they are healthy and then in a few weeks we will have a glut of eggs and broody hens!

Hi all.

From Warwick NY as well, with my 3 hens 1 sporadic egg here or there.

Last edited:
I hope everyone is doing well in this frigid weather. I have had a few birds with frostbite on the toes and combs, but otherwise they are holding strong... not happy about the white stuff, but they have been poking their heads out of the coop for the sunshine.

What are everyon'e plans for the spring? I am trying to coordinate a seed/plant/egg/chick/supply swap for spring. Mainly I am hoping to trade seed varieties with folks so that I can have dozens of types of tomatoes, peppers, and squash, instead of long rows of the same thing. Anyone interested?

I'd be interested in seed trades, I just have to find where I put them from last year
smile.png
I also have strawberries lots of new additions and mint.

Back
Top Bottom