Humidity in Bator...EXCELLENT INFO HERE! EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Humidity isn't measured in how deep the water is. It is measured by the surface amount. I use a deeper oblong container with a sponge and I only fill it enough to cover the bottom. Maybe a half an inch. Put a tube in the dish and add warm water when needed with a syringe. Hope this helps.

I had a lot of trouble tilting a hovabator...it threw the temps off and I had spikes of 110 degrees and higher and lost a hatch of a dozen or so...So, I would caution using that method for egg turning.

So, I'm in Oregon where humidity is pretty neutral right now. I added some water to my trays the night of day 17 and it's been holding steady at around 67% Should I remove the lid to bring the humidity down a bit? I was hoping to not let it go above 55%

I keep the humidity in the first 17 days down between 30% - 50%, when I take the eggs from the turner I up the humidity to 65%-70%. I just had an 85% hatch with shipped eggs. I am happy with that. I also use the dreaded Little Giant incubator, forced air with auto turner, and have for the past two years following the directions that came with it and have never had a "bad" hatch. Everyone has to figure out what works for them I suppose....

I've been reading this thread and i want to make sure that this seams right:

Duck eggs:
Day 1 - 18 = around 45 50%?

Day 18 - = 60 65%??

or is that too much?? I'm placing my eggs in in about 2 hours

hmm.png

Quote:
many people use the tilt method for the hova and LG without problems. If I had spikes that high, I would look for the real reason.. for starters, I would turn the thermostat down..

I hope I'm not drowning my eggs right now. On Day 19 and one chick is already out with two pipped.

Humidity was at 55 an hour ago, now it's at 64 that's got to be too high... should I open the bator???? just for a second? I could always add warm water through the tube to the tray?

Mahonri, I don't believe that high humidity during the hatch is what drowns peeps. I believe that the drowning is caused by having too high RH during the entire incubation process and the egg not losing enough moisture weight.

Quote:
I agree with you..

and furthermore, I believe there are certain times during inubation that are more critical than others..

when I get a little spare time I am going to run a test of this theory..

Quote:
My air cells looked good last night at day 18 plus 12 hours. Now here we are 24 hours later and one chick is out and two pipped with one trying to zip.

Shouldn't they all start pipping about the same time? AND WHY SO EARLY?

I hope I get any sleep. This wasn't supposed to happen until Friday, when I have the day off. Now I'll have to get the brooder ready before work tomorrow and pray I get more than one chick out. He is in there chirping his head off. (I always figure the first one to hatch is a roo)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom