Humidity

Rstine

Chirping
Jun 19, 2016
I was eggcited to got my first incubator and am hoping to hatch my first batch here in a couple of weeks. My question is, how much fluctuations in humidity can the eggs take? We live in the desert where we have really low natural humidity. I put water in the grooves and it stays around 70, so I've been dampening a towel and that does better. But I work 13 hour shifts and the humidity me be 60+ when I leave but 25 by the time I get home. Any input would be appreciated.

70 is way too high - are you in lockdown? It should only ever be that high for lockdown.

As for fluctuations, they're fine. For humidity it's the average that matters, and as long as the eggs lose enough moisture over the entire incubation period, it'll be fine.

The important thing is what your air cells look like, never mind the humidity levels. The best way to monitor if your eggs are losing the proper amount of moisture is to weigh them before setting, the next best thing is to go by recommended air cell size for how many days they are. Pyxis is correct in saying that the average is what's most important during incubation. Once the eggs pip though (start to hatch), it will be very important to keep humidity consistently high.

You are looking at 40%-50% humidity ... 70% is lockdown humidity !!!

I would personally remove the water and cloth till it comes down !!

I'm not sure how your incubator is designed, but can you consider a deep dish (like a water glass) so that it can't evaporate as quickly, but the water doesn't run out? Grooves sound--well, shallow, and meant for quick evaporation.

Thanks for the help. I'll try a smaller, deeper water receptacle and see what happens.
Like I said, Snoozeys, it fluctuates between like 65 to 25 over the 13 hours that I am at work, it doesn't stay high all of the time (I was tired when I wrote that and could have been more clear).
Also, everything I read says the eggs should be turned 3-5 times daily. If I'm gone for 13 hours is the turning being done 3-5 times during the remaining 11 hours sufficient or should I forget about this batch and just get an automatic egg turner and start over?

Back
Top Bottom