Humph....(You can start any day now, girls)

Saroco

Songster
9 Years
Sep 3, 2010
The Wonderful Land of Oz
When are chickens supposed to start laying eggs? How old were your hens when they started laying? Mine are 20 weeks old.
roll.png

Mine started at 22-23 weeks. I know it's so hard to be patient......You'll be getting them soon. remember they will be small at first and start getting larger as they mature.

It all depends. Mine started at 30 weeks and I still have one that has not laid and she is 8 months old.

My Barred Plymouth Rock started at 20 weeks. My Golden and Silver Wyndottes are 32 weeks and have not started yet. Do different breeds take longer as a rule?

Thanks for the link! To whom it may concern, I have two SLW, two Buff Orpingtons, an Austrolorp, a Red star, and a White Plymouth Rock. Well, I guess I'll just have to be patient!! But it is so hard! I am looking forward to those eggs!!!!
droolin.gif

Last edited:
My GLW was the last to lay, but she was about 24 weeks and sporadically. She is giving us about 3 eggs a week, my RIR's are 6 days a week, and my Delaware is also about 3 eggs a week so far.

I have barred rocks and gold laced wyandottes. I had one of each start at 19 weeks and the others slowly started laying between 20 and 22 weeks. Hang in there. The first egg is the longest wait and the next few are also the longest wait. The first egg is always the tastiest!!!
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom