Hunting Thread

I Love Layers

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 25, 2015
I've decided to start a hunting thread here since I LOVE !
You can also talk about reloading, target shooting and anything hunting related as long as it's appropriate and legal!

1. Please stay away from extremely bloody photos
2. Make sure that you are hunting legally, in season, correct sex etc.
3. If you don't like hunting please don't come here just to bash us.
4. Please keep this at least PG-13

If anyone has any other ideas for rules etc please message me!

Can't wait to meet everyone and have some great conversations!

I was an avid hunter.....when other little girls were playing with Barbie dolls I was out with my dad deer hunting or pheasant hunting. For a long time I just got to be his 2 legged bird dog, but when I got older I got to walk beside him and shoot.

I loved deer hunting, even if we didn't get anything. Just being out with dad was amazing, and then after I got married Ken and I would go. It wasn't always easy - Navy families don't get much of a chance, nor did we usually get stationed in an area where we could hunt. But whenever we could we'd take our leave and go back to South Dakota for opening day with my family.

When we moved out here, it wasn't unusual for me to put dinner in the crock pot, grab my .50 caliber black powder rifle and go up into the Big Horns by myself. Ken was doing a lot of odd jobs at the time and couldn't always go with me. I had a a favorite spot and I really enjoyed it. And I usually filled my tag, too.

A few years ago my disabilities were winning the battle, but I didn't want to give up hunting. So I went to Game and Fish with my medical statements and got a permit to shoot from my vehicle. Anyone who tells you that deer hunting from a vehicle is cheating isn't following the law, believe me. I have to be parked, way off the road, (and road includes two track dirt lanes), and I can't shoot across any road or two track road. I wouldn't do that anyway. But deer don't just walk up to the vehicle, tap you on the shoulder and say, "I'm going to wait right over there by that tree while you jack a round in. You may fire when ready." Nope, it's some of the toughest hunting I've done. I managed to fill my tag every year (we just hunt for the meat) but all the things that made hunting so special and challenging for me were gone. So two or three seasons ago I gave it up. I retained my permit, though, just in case, but I really doubt if I'll ever go again. In fact, I gave my .300 Savage Lever action to my great-nephew for his first hunt this year. I hope it brings him as many hours of enjoyment as it brought me.

Once someone asked Ken, "Doesn't that bother you that she's out hunting?" He just laughed and told him that I could find em, I could shoot em, I could tag em, I could gut em, I could drag em, I could load em, I could hang em, I could skin em, I could butcher em, I could cook em and I could do the dishes afterward...why should that bother him?

Last edited:
i plan on getting a deer rifle not sure what to go for though an sks or mosin nagant, i love both guns but can only get one at the moment, the sks is equal to a 30-30 where they say the mosin is equal to a 30-06, i have hunted with a 30-30 before (for white tail deer) and um shot a rabbit with it shot it once and i hit it but wanted to make it was dead so i shot again at like 5 feet away... (nothing was left but a leg and yes i can hunt rabbits with a center fire where i live as there a non-protected species.) and i have shot a 30-06 before just not sure what to go for. :)

Both will kill a Deer. Have with both.

What I look at is ammo availability. With the sks you can get good factory loads. Plus get military surplus to plink and varmint hunt.

The mosin nagant is usually a little more expensive to shoot and limited bullet choices unless you reload.

If those are your choices go with what you like the best.

My latest gun I bought was a 6.5 creedmore. Haven't hunted with it yet. But it is a sweet shooting gun. My goto gun is a 308 win. Everything an 06 will do but in a short action and less recoil

The 410 is a wonderful rabbit, grouse, pheasant, and dove gun. Naturally a 20, or a 12 will have more shot that would help compensate for flying shots not exactly properly placed. I try not to toot my own horn (Often,lol) but i have ran many countless 25's on a trap & skeet range. Of course adjust your shot size depending on the game of the day. Everyone has their preference, but for dove & Grouse, i use #7 1/2 or #6 shot, depending on how the birds are flying, and the ranges. Pheasants i would recommend #6, possibly even #4's depending on the day. In the right hands, a 410 is a very very capable killing machine on the field. As far as the 20 or 12 slugs for deer, they are good choices...withing their range limit, and knowing your gun, and exactly where it hits at what range should be must with the shotty..Yes ive had and seen 12ga. bolt guns with rifled barrels that would easily take deer @ 175yds, but you have to know your gun.

I got a decent 4×4 mulie buck with my .243 this fall. We got some racoons and skunks this fall, some beavers this winter. Also a fox and some coyotes

hello bird/rabbit hunter here.

i personally enjoy hunting any type of game bird from ducks to geese to sharpies to pheasants (might i have only seen one pheasant my whole life but i enjoyed trying to hunt them) also i love rabbit hunting jack rabbits and cotton tails for meat.

Last edited:
I don't go hunting, but there are a few reasons for it. First, I would have to travel far to do it. I do not know any one with large stretches of land/farm where I could do it. Many years ago I along with a friend, did try to hunt pheasant in a State Park designated for public access. The State would place and release pheasants into the forest for the hunters. I guess they were farm raised pheasant. That in my opinion was equivalent to going to a farm and shooting chickens on the ground. I did not see any sportsmanship in this. Then we went to visit a private hunting club grounds. Inside we saw a bunch of killed birds, with a sign above. PLEASE REMOVE YOUR BIRDS BY (a date) OR THEY WILL BE THROWN OUT. That kind of hunting did not appeal to me or my friend. We intended to hunt and eat what we got. If you are not going to eat them , just shoot skeet. Then there were some real winners. They shot deer and only took the rack.
My friend did continue his quest to hunt and did get deer, but not every year. Each time he brought the meat home, all enjoyed eating it.
So that is my view of hunting. If you are going to hunt it, then utilize it as well. If you don't want to eat it yourself but give to a neighbor or friend, its just fine. Just so there is no waste.
Nowadays I do enjoy target shooting. The outdoor or indoor range experience is fun.
There are more stories, but for now I think I vented enough.
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom