Hunting Thread

My latest gun I bought was a 6.5 creedmore. Haven't hunted with it yet. But it is a sweet shooting gun. My goto gun is a 308 win. Everything an 06 will do but in a short action and less recoil
You had me at "6.5" lol. And you are correct on the 308 vs the 06. A buddy of mine recently wanted a new deer rifle. He's a rather large fellow of 6'1 and about 300lbs. And use to carry a "Bambi Blasting Powder burning shoulder breaking 7mag". (the one where he shoots a deer 3 times and my nephew has to finish the animal with a knife) but thats a another story for another post lol. He has lately became interested in reloading,so when he commented on his new rifle being a 30-06, i quickly reached for my Nosler reloading book and showed him in comparison the 06 vs the 308 using a "standard/average" weight grain bullet of 150/155gr. for deer hunting...he was truly amazed....both rifles producing same muzzle velocities within 10/20 fps. The only time the 06 will out-do the 308 is when a heavier bullet is uded, say a 200gr RN, then the extra case capacity will help the 06. I advised him to get the 308. the bonus was a 308 is far easy to work up reduced loads with light bullets than the 06 as well, in case his son started shooting.He ended up with a Browning Xbolt hunter 308. Im not sure if my smaller stature is the reason, or is because of those SD's or BC's of those lil awsome 6.5's, or could it because when i shoot i find tiny lil groups about the size of a dime or less, @100yds. As you might guess, im fond of just about any 6.5 cal. The Creedmoor, 260 Remy, 6.5 swedish mauser are the cats meow in my book..Not that others are bad, these are just my favorites, along with a couple other cals. The "Sweet 7's" Time forgotten, but never out did, 280 remington(bolt action) 7x57 mauser. Sorry to rant, but your right, i like guns..lol

I understand so all they have to do is to put a maximum rifle size like .227
I know this post is a bit old, but im bored.. The thinking behind not letting the .224-.227 dia. bullets to be used is from the fact that with today's array of bullets/rifles you can drive a 65gr bullet @ near 3kfps. It can fly many miles and still have the potential to hit/kill someone, whereas a load of 00 or 000buck @ 1100 fps combined with their round inefficient shape will not have the range as the center fire rifles. To an extent, i agree that they are many good hunters with proper knowledge of bullet trajectories could in fact hunt in semi populated areas...but the problem is the world has way to many hunters named "Bubba" that takes his buddy "Box of rocks" and a 12 pack into the woods..sad, but a fact..

any one here hunt with a .410 before? am thinking about maybe getting one for upland game birds (grouse, partridge and pheasant) and rabbits. also any one hunt deer with slugs? at the moment i use 2 shotguns a 12 ga and 20 ga (the 12 is a supernova pump action and the 20 ga is a single shot) the 12 ga is more for geese and ducks (but the gun is kinda heavy at 8 pounds for walking/ carrying all day long in the brush) while the 20 ga is a nice light gun at 5 and a half pounds (its an H and R pardner single shot, and i love it) but kicks just has hard as the super nova, and would like to use one for deer maybe.

Have killed many dove with a .410 in my younger yrs. As far as the 410 with slugs for deer is a grey area. Will it kill a deer? Yes. But so can an infected leg from a wound. Many yrs ago, myu 1st deer rifle @ age 12 was a 44 carbine(which i still have) Killed several deer with it. I remember some people would tell me that my lil ole carbine just wasn't enough gun for deer...But any of my harvests would disagree..A nice double lung shot behind the shoulder worked Every time. The 410 with an average slug weighing around 100gr is in fact a small projectile, and coupled with its low velocities, the effective range is very limited, and even withing range, a good shot placement would be a MUST for a clean kill. I do not know your hunting habits, what shot your willing to take,or not. I do not not know how well you shoot. I say this with much respect, but i never recommend a 410 as a deer rifle/shotgun. The 20ga. is a much better choice, but with all shotty's i stress the point of knowing its limitations and only taking shots at ranges you KNOW will ensure a clean kill. I have never ever, been a fan of hunting deer with buckshot. Dont get me wrong, buckshot can and will give a clean kill, there again within its range..But over the yrs i have seen to many wounded animals run off and die in agony 3 days later, only to find its fly ridden corpse, because "BUBBA" took a shot out of range/running etc. Again, take anything i say with a grain of salt, my intentions are not to be nasty, but merely my point of view from personal experience.

Have killed many dove with a .410 in my younger yrs. As far as the 410 with slugs for deer is a grey area. Will it kill a deer? Yes. But so can an infected leg from a wound. Many yrs ago, myu 1st deer rifle @ age 12 was a 44 carbine(which i still have) Killed several deer with it. I remember some people would tell me that my lil ole carbine just wasn't enough gun for deer...But any of my harvests would disagree..A nice double lung shot behind the shoulder worked Every time. The 410 with an average slug weighing around 100gr is in fact a small projectile, and coupled with its low velocities, the effective range is very limited, and even withing range, a good shot placement would be a MUST for a clean kill. I do not know your hunting habits, what shot your willing to take,or not. I do not not know how well you shoot. I say this with much respect, but i never recommend a 410 as a deer rifle/shotgun. The 20ga. is a much better choice, but with all shotty's i stress the point of knowing its limitations and only taking shots at ranges you KNOW will ensure a clean kill. I have never ever, been a fan of hunting deer with buckshot. Dont get me wrong, buckshot can and will give a clean kill, there again within its range..But over the yrs i have seen to many wounded animals run off and die in agony 3 days later, only to find its fly ridden corpse, because "BUBBA" took a shot out of range/running etc. Again, take anything i say with a grain of salt, my intentions are not to be nasty, but merely my point of view from personal experience.
thank you, myself am a bird hunter, i love duck and goose hunting (like eating them as well i think a wild duck stew is awesome) so that's the main reason am using shot guns, am more thinking of slugs then buck shot, (i do how ever carry buck shot with me for wild hogs in case i run across a hog, but its special hog shot with 2 steel balls in it only, never had to use it or even put it in the gun as i never have seen a wild hog, have seen tracks though..) but would you recommend a 20ga slug? or even 12ga for deer. i should else note i could be drawn for moose and mule deer (with white tail as here we just can buy a tag for em) and i didn't even think of buck shot. but what about a .410 for say rabbits, grouse and pheasants? (my main reason for even wanting one). but thank you again :)

any one bow hunt here? more so birds (like ducks, geese and grouse)

i have know for a while that we can bow hunt birds where i live, but never thought anything of it, fast forward a bit and now am into traditional archery (recurve if those count) and really enjoy shooting it (not sure what you call firing a bow and arrow) and now have maybe decided to take up archery/bow hunting birds, any tips on this?

like minimum poundage for birds? (right now where i live 40 pounds in min for big game but says nothing for small game or birds) i shoot a 25 pound bow, but plan to upgrade to at-least 40 should i go more?

how was every ones hunting season this last year? i got one goose (Canada) and that was it, went white tail hunting and never got a shot off, (but a friend did get both a mule and white tail deer)

now spring is here so anyone doing some spring bear or goose hunting? am not

change of plan, setting up a spring bear hunt. and if that fails we always have the fall bear hunt. thinking of using a 50 cal percussion cap muzzle-loader on one.

but if i get one, going to save the meat and eat it (there supposed to be good eating if they ate berries before hand) want to make black bear ham yum! :)

Back
Top Bottom