Hunting Thread

I have a buff splash d'uccle female. I don't know what to breed her with to get lemon Millie's or d'uccles
Welcome to BYC. I know at first it might seem a little complicated to find your way around, but that's what all of us are here for - helping each other. I can't help you with your genetics question, but if you'll click on this link, it will take you a spot where the people are more likely to able to help you. Once you get there, simply click on the tab that says, "Start a New Thread" and ask there. Good luck,and again, welcome!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/14/general-breed-discussions-faq

Is your m1917 a modified Argentine Mouser? Just curious

It's a US service rifle. During WWI, we were already producing the P1914 for the British, basically a modified Mauser design. When the US entered the war, we were desperately short of Springfield rifles (the standard arm at the time), so rather than re-tool plants, the P1914 was modified for the US 30-06 cartridge and became the M1917. More of those were fielded by the doughboys than Springfields. Very strong action and they tend to be quite accurate if you find one with a good bore. Many were sold as surplus and modified into sporting rifles between the wars.

Mine was probably built by Joseph Niedner, a famous gunsmith and hunter from the 20s through 50s. He favored this design, and the stock and smithing work are done in his style. It's a little rough on the outside, but it's a tack driver. Payed a whopping $125 for it at a pawn shop 3 years ago.

I'm so glad people are actually posting!!

A little bit about me.
I'm a 14 year old, 15 on November 18, girl who lives in North Dakota on an 849 acre ranch with 81 head of cattle, 40+ chickens, numerous rabbits, 2 horses who I use for scouting sometimes, numerous cats and a large dog.

I mainly deer hunt along with any kind of raccoon, skunk beaver etc.

I shoot my Savage youth 243 for now, but I'm hoping to upgrade to a 270 next year.
Last year I got my first deer, a 2x2 mulie buck on the last day of the season, I was chasing a 5x5 mulie the other days of the season, and getting some near chances to get him. One time he was 100 yards from us, but he was going in and out of brush checking out some does also there, I was extremely foggy and I didn't want to risk losing him or hitting something else, another time I had a 600 yard shot at him bit decided not to take it just cause I didn't want to risk having an injured deer running around.

This year I was supposed to have any buck or doe but the Game and Fish messed up my license so I only have any doe
1f610.png
I've seen some big mulies though..

Here's a beaver my dad shot on Friday, maybe Thursday.
I cut its tail off and I'm still waiting for it to dry out.

It was a total of 3 feet long, it's tail was 1 foot, rest of the body 2 feet, 1 foot wide, and it's back feet had to be 5 inches across, also weighed 60 pounds or more" Congrats on your first deer last year! I also applaud you for not shooting. 600 yards is a long ways even for a military sniper or seasoned match shooter under field conditions. Speaking from experience, there is nothing worse than losing a wounded deer. Hope you have good luck this season. Nothing wrong with does, you can't eat the antlers.
The .270 is a fine cartridge and should serve you well in a Savage rifle. They definitely outshoot their price tag. For your current rifle, consider restocking it so you have a coyote/antelope gun that fits you better than the youth stock. I did this on my wife's Savage M11. We bought her a youth thinking this was the right size, but she found it too short. Over the winter I added a stock from Richards Microfit. They will custom cut the length, and I had them split the difference between a full size and youth stock. Perfect fit now. Will require finishing and some light fitting, but if you can use a hobby knife and sandpaper, it's not too hard to get a nice looking stock even if your work isn't perfect the first time. In addition, you'll have a "custom" rifle for which you invested a lot of time and effort to make it uniquely yours, which adds a whole new level of enjoyment to your hunt.

Last edited:
@Ole and Lena
The savage youth is my 243, we have rounds for it for deer and varmint. I don't think I would change anything on either of the guns
The 270 is actually my dads

Also her little brother likes to hunt them two but he is crazy he don't like to come back if u miss he will chance all the birds he can he is a miniature pincher lol

Last edited:
just bought me a small game hunting bow today :)

a sammick sage 25 lb bow, going to have to test it out first then take it out for some rabbits once i get enough skill to take a good shot and know what am doing.

We sat on a hill and watched some deer mill around in the brush. I think my friend Matthew got a deer, I saw his pickup and heard shots on his families land.
On the way back I saw a nice 4x4 mulie buck!! To bad I only have a doe tag...
Heading off to a hunting party/meal now

Back
Top Bottom