Hunting Thread

I hunt just about everything but I like to hunt pheasants with my baby girl Cabella she will be 5 on November 7th

Also her little brother likes to hunt them two but he is crazy he don't like to come back if u miss he will chance all the birds he can he is a miniature pincher lol

Last edited:
just bought me a small game hunting bow today :)

a sammick sage 25 lb bow, going to have to test it out first then take it out for some rabbits once i get enough skill to take a good shot and know what am doing.

We sat on a hill and watched some deer mill around in the brush. I think my friend Matthew got a deer, I saw his pickup and heard shots on his families land.
On the way back I saw a nice 4x4 mulie buck!! To bad I only have a doe tag...
Heading off to a hunting party/meal now

In Arizona its a very complicated lotery with loyalty points helping to get drawn for all big game animals. I've hunted antlerless elk a few times I've been drawn using a 30-06. 100 yards is a very close shot. From shot to grill I do it all. Quail and rabbits hear the 20 gage. Haven't tried deer or turkey yet. Deer out here remind me of a greyhound dog on stairoids.

Not that complex here for residents. If I decided at the last minute that I want to go hunting, I just go down to the Conoco store or the hardware store, buy a general tag, and go. We do have drawings if you want a special area or species, but most areas have a general hunt time so it's pretty easy. We have a complicated system for certain animals like buffalo, Big Horn Sheep, Mountain Goats,and Moose - you have to buy into preference tags or some such, but I never bothered with that.....just got a tag and went to the area. You guys have me wanting to dust off my guns again, you know that, right? Proud to say my old .300 Savage is back out in the field this season instead of in the gun cabinet. I gave it to my great-nephew and he is using it for his first hunt back in South Dakota. Hasn't filled yet, but he will!
wink.png

Wife and I both had a productive first season on our new hunting land. Bagged 2 nice does. Didn't end up using the M1917 for mine. Was posting a ditch trail the day she showed up. Long shooting spot so I carried the .280 Mauser 98 that day. Single shot high neck dropped her just after she crossed into my property. Pays to know your rifle and practice. At 175 yards, it was still a high confidence shot for me rested on a stand rail. Little meat loss with that shot placement and no chance of her running back into the neighbors property or into some deep swampland.

Wife made a really good shot. Her marksmanship abilities are coming along nicely. Threaded one between 2 trees 6" apart to put one through the lungs of her deer at 90 yards. Quick shot offhand. I was proud of her for that one! Some good eating this winter. Unseasonably warm this year, so we butchered in camp and had a tenderloin party to visit with some of the neighbors. Gave them a brush of Marsala wine and bacon fat, dusted with pepper, then grilled over tag alder and chokecherry low fire. Washed down with some ice cold beer. It was awesome.

Back
Top Bottom