Hunting Thread

Had last week off for jury duty and put a hurtin' on some coyotes the 2 days I wasn't summoned. They were calling pretty good. First time hunting them with my AR. It's a heavy target rifle, and due to the changes in rules in the CMP and NRA matches I shoot it now wears an optic rail making longer shots on predators feasible.

Tagged 2 nice yotes and a pup. One of the big males is really beautiful and a bit "wolfy" in color pattern. He'll make my hunting buddy a fine hat. He's been looking for a nice darker coyote pelt with contrast for some time. The AR worked very well. Didn't need the semi-auto fire, but the 50 grain Vmax shot as well as my heavy match loads and left no exit holes on the coyotes from 70 to 340 yards. Borrowed a rangefinder from a work friend, it really was the ticket for the longer shots. With less wind, I would push this rifle to 500 yards with a good rest and known range, but I'd want to use my heavy match bullets much past 300, The bottom really drops out of those light Vmax at about 350.

Hopefully I will get a pheasant or 2 over Christmas break.. They're all over right now with our snow here

I see you live in North Dakota. Pheasant hunting must be amazing up there. I've hunted with guys who have taken week long trips to pheasant and waterfowl hunt there. They said they killed every duck imaginable. I've shot a few pheasants on a preserve here in Maryland.

I see you live in North Dakota. Pheasant hunting must be amazing up there. I've hunted with guys who have taken week long trips to pheasant and waterfowl hunt there. They said they killed every duck imaginable. I've shot a few pheasants on a preserve here in Maryland.

Its pretty fun.
Last year was my first year with a dog. She's amazing. She's injured this year though....

I'm pretty sure we're just going to walk into the hay flat and shoot. There's so many roos down there. One nests between our house I may or may not feed him some corn
1f602.png

We are going to go tomorrow I think. We had a blizzard and it wasn't possible to hunt for the last week

Quail closed Sunday and elk online apps close tonight at 11:59. Now we wait for the draw to see if we got lucky. Thank God I have a fishing pole to tide me over.

Back
Top Bottom