Hurricane Harvey

BeccaNS

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2017
We are in the Houston area so our three chickens have been thru a lot the last few days. They have been troopers and we have done everything possible to keep them safe. One of them keeps holding one eye close and didn't lay today. Her eye doesn't look red but it's been two days of her holding it closed. Taking her to a vet is out of the question, with all the flooding. Any suggestions? I plan to try to google tomorrow but low on data. Our chickens are 100% pets, our kids and I would be so upset if anything happened to one of them. Any advice appreciated.

With all the wind blowing debris around, and general storm conditions and chaos, my guess is she has something in it or it became scratched.

I'll link a care article below in case it is something like that.

My prayers are with you and all your neighbors in Houston....2 footed and 4 footed and winged. :hugs

LofMc

http://countrysidenetwork.com/daily...eating-chicken-eye-problems-livestock-wounds/
(keep scrolling...the article continues after the ads)

Thank you. Once roads clear and things open again I will try to get stuff to try.

Now all three are off schedule with laying or not laying. Should I be concerned. One laid 12 hours later then she normally does and the other two didn't lay at all. They are only 6 months old but the first started laying 6 weeks ago and the last 3 weeks ago. they have been very regular after they started laying.

Environmental disturbances and stress cause hens to stop laying, so I should think it is normal after the storm you've been through.

After things calm down, and some TLC (for both your family and the hens), your hens should be back to laying again.

Watch out for mold growth after the floods. Mold can cause serious illness in birds (as well as humans).

Continued prayers for you and your family and flock.
LofMc

We are in the Houston area so our three chickens have been thru a lot the last few days. They have been troopers and we have done everything possible to keep them safe. One of them keeps holding one eye close and didn't lay today. Her eye doesn't look red but it's been two days of her holding it closed. Taking her to a vet is out of the question, with all the flooding. Any suggestions? I plan to try to google tomorrow but low on data. Our chickens are 100% pets, our kids and I would be so upset if anything happened to one of them. Any advice appreciated.
How are you gals doing now? How is her eye? I know I'm a little late but here is some advise if you are still unable to get out and about for supplies:
Warm wet compress on the eye then Poysporin or Neosporin you have any available. If you happen to have any human opthomolic cream such as Systane gel (or lubricant eye drops) that might help keep the eye moist or you can also apply mineral oil or Vaseline if nothing else is available.
As others have mentioned stress is a very common reason hens quit laying. Just give them some time. Also molting season is upon us so their egg production could slow down if they are about to start that or already have.

Hope things are going better now and hope to get an update. Been thinking about my chicken people who were effected by this storm's torment.

Thanks for checking on my girls. They are doing great and back to laying normal. I did pick up some of the medication in the artical above so I'll have stuff on hand incase I need it. I didn't even use it because by the time things opened and roads cleared she was back to normal.

Thanks for checking on my girls. They are doing great and back to laying normal. I did pick up some of the medication in the artical above so I'll have stuff on hand incase I need it. I didn't even use it because by the time things opened and roads cleared she was back to normal.
That's great news!

Back
Top Bottom