Hygrometers... do any of them work? haha

Quote:
I will give you my spin. The springfield is junk, so throw it away. I am not a mathmatician, but I work with some, and we are all scientists. When you "calibrate" your hygometers, your accurite was off 5 points at 70 percent. But is it not off 5 points at 40 percent. It is off 7 percent at 70, so it is off the same 7 percent at 40 . So the correct reading at 40 would be 42.8 RH.I am not trying to start an argument, but things are linear , so the percent it is off will be the same, noit the amount. If you ran the math this way, you would find they are closer that you think.
I use an accurite to incubate, because it not that critical the 1st 18 days. anything between 20 and 40 will get you to where you need to be. But Since I have gone to wet bulbs for lock down , my hatch rate has went from about 30 percnet to 90 percent. I hatched a lot of shipped eggs, and dealth with the 60 percent that are clear. Nothing I can do about them. But IU was tired of loosing chicks at pip. When I got them to pip and lost them or even at 18 or 19 days. That is something I am doing wrong. My wet bulbd made all the diffence. Go to any store. Find the instant read meat or cooking thermometers. Look through the whole stack. Find 2 that read the same. Pt the tip of one at egg leavel, or in forced air, just stick it in. Place the second one beside it, with a shoe sting slipped over it and the end in your water sorce. You will have a very accurate wet buld set up, for about 6 ot 8 bucks. Bo not get digitals, get the plian ole dial ones. They may be off by 1 or 2 degrees, but since you bought to that read the same in teh store, they are the same anywear. and your are comparing apples to apples. You can stick 10 digitals in and check them any way you want with salt bags. They just are not relaible. soory for the typo's. I put my other glasses on so can see better now.

Last edited:
Luckily humidity does not need to be as specific a number as temperature. If your temp is 6 degrees off 99.5 you'll have problems, but if your hygrometer is off a little so that the humidity varies by 6% its not that big a deal. I would just pick one and go by it and forget the others.

There is the option of getting a NIST traceable hygrometer. Those would have been professionally calibrated and basically guaranteed to be accurate within the defined error margin. But, then depending on your desired level of confidence you will have to take your hygrometer to a calibration lab periodically to get the traceability renewed. There are some placess that certify their equipment much more often. You do pay more for real accuracy. Try searching "NIST hygrometer".

Of course, the others here have excellent advice for dealing with the situation with the consumer devices, just saying accurate measurement devices exist.

Quote:
ksf59: That makes a lot of sense. The percent of error should be linear, not the amount. I think because the amount/points of RH are measured in %... I confused myself. Thank you for your explanation!

rebelcowboy: I love the way you think! "Accuracy is nice but consistency is all you need." So true.

And thanks to all for the good advise to not sweat the small stuff! A couple RH% points one way or another aren't worth the stress. So true.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom