I have a bald baby.

Oh yes! Slather his little bald body with some sweet-smelling lotion! Tell us what it smells like, and we'll have an olfactory visual.

Do you have a hen who would adopt him? It's not out of the question. I have a hen right now who has adopted my three seven-week old chicks. She hovers and teaches them what to eat, and even feeds them. They're almost as big as she is and it's a hoot to watch.

That's an excellent point about sunscreen. I had a hen once with a bald back and she was getting badly sunburned until I put sunscreen on her each day. There are lots of non-toxic lotions and sun screens.

Last edited:
Oh yes! Slather his little bald body with some sweet-smelling lotion! Tell us what it smells like, and we'll have an olfactory visual.

Do you have a hen who would adopt him? It's not out of the question. I have a hen right now who has adopted my three seven-week old chicks. She hovers and teaches them what to eat, and even feeds them. They're almost as big as she is and it's a hoot to watch.

That's an excellent point about sunscreen. I had a hen once with a bald back and she was getting badly sunburned until I put sunscreen on her each day. There are lots of non-toxic lotions and sun screens.
we are going to let him grow up with the one bantam hen I kept in the box so he's not lonely. I would put him with baby my oldest pullet hen but the hen that adopted her was rough about pecking order...she caught on and now lays on top of her head while she's nesting. Baby is about 3 months she was given to me before the others hatched. The oldest hen out of the 3 has finally started to let her roost with them at night. I don't think they would adopt streak.

I know for skin conditions with animals n after freeze branding horses that the vets I've worked for here and in quite a few other countries I've lived in recommend using Pure Coco nut oil or Shea butter.

Both help condition the skin n prevent it drying out but aren't toxic. You can use the one that still smells of coconut which is pleasant but doesn't cause any skin reactions n isn't harmful if ingested. If he's to go out at all then yeah you'd need to put on sun block.

I know for skin conditions with animals n after freeze branding horses that the vets I've worked for here and in quite a few other countries I've lived in recommend using Pure Coco nut oil or Shea butter.

Both help condition the skin n prevent it drying out but aren't toxic. You can use the one that still smells of coconut which is pleasant but doesn't cause any skin reactions n isn't harmful if ingested. If he's to go out at all then yeah you'd need to put on sun block.
I used a few drops of Almond oil on him...he soaked it right up. He's mad at me now...lol but at least he doesn't look so dried out.

If he goes outside all nakey, he will need a sunscreen... I found this recipe for an all natural sunscreen that should be safe for him if you omit the zinc oxide. Excessive zinc could cause some toxicity issues in him, so I would personally just avoid adding it. The carrot seed oil contains enough of a sunscreen that the ZO really shouldnt be necessary. I would also omit the essential oils as birds in general have a very sensitive sense of smell. You could also substitute your almond oil for the sesame/jojoba oil to increase the SPF since you already have that on hand.

:
Carrier Oil SPF
Red Raspberry Seed 28 – 50
Carrot Seed Oil 38 – 40
Wheatgerm 20
Soybean 10
Macadamia Nut 6
Jojoba 4
Sesame Seed Oil 2 – 4
Shea Butter 3 – 6
Coconut 2 – 8
Olive 2 – 8
Avocado (unrefined) 4 – 15
Castor Oil 6
Almond Oil

If he goes outside all nakey, he will need a sunscreen... I found this recipe for an all natural sunscreen that should be safe for him if you omit the zinc oxide. Excessive zinc could cause some toxicity issues in him, so I would personally just avoid adding it. The carrot seed oil contains enough of a sunscreen that the ZO really shouldnt be necessary. I would also omit the essential oils as birds in general have a very sensitive sense of smell. You could also substitute your almond oil for the sesame/jojoba oil to increase the SPF since you already have that on hand.
thanks..that's very close to my body butter recipe with the exception of the carrier oil and ZO. I'll have to find some carrot seed oil.;)

streak no longer alone!! Meet Buff.I hatched another baldy today, but this one was not from my stock...also bantam. Hubby said keep it too...I told my friend it hatched from her stock...she said OMG!! I told her no worries streak just has a friend now.

Back
Top Bottom