I have a question about Clostridium perfringens

I just realized that the photo I used to have up on the forum of my confirmed Clostridium perfringens bird's droppings is gone. I wanted to re-post it in case it helps anyone else.

Her droppings during the illness (and during treatment at first), were loose, watery, contained undigested food and grain, and were very explosive. At one point, she was passing whole black oil sunflower seeds, undigested. Without getting too detailed, they would shoot out of her quite a ways, sometimes with force! Think of a garden hose when you turn it on and it has a lot of air in it...

The odor is also a bit different than 'normal'. Sweet, but not nice to smell. Unpleasant enough to be 'off' but not like the sharp offensive odor of a normal fresh chicken poo. It is almost like vegetables/fruit that have started going bad and fermenting. Very hard to describe.

Her symptoms were: somewhat lethargic behavior but not outright acting sick, the aforementioned droppings, not eating very well, weight loss. Diagnosis was made by an avian vet via X-ray (reproductive gas was noted in the x-ray) and fecal exam. She was treated with metronidazole (flagyl) and then a probiotic after that was done, which did clear her up. I must warn that in my experience and according to my vet, they don't always improve right away and may not seem to get better until the medication course is done or nearly done. Once she started improving, her droppings went back to normal, she ate well, and gained weight again.

Last edited:
One of mine had a stool like that-but I can't remember who, or when.

Jen, you are lucky you caught the acute type so fast. I believe the chronic's main symptom is wasting, and it comes and goes.

I had no idea that Clostridium included all those bad illnesses like Tetanus, and Botulism.

Quote:
Some interesting reading on Clostridium,extremely graphic. www.slideshare.net/doctortvrao/clostridium?next_slideshow=1

I know in humans they have treated some Colstridium infections with the feces of healthy donors(frozen poop pills)this same treatment has been done with birds,giving ill birds the feces to eat of healthy birds.

Ew! I can't even handle the thought of it!

Why do you suppose that human infants are born face down and head first if not to inoculate their digestive track with mommies' yummy probiotics?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom