I have a question for anyone who ties flies (for fishing)

Sorry, the pictures uploaded backwards, so scroll down then up..

These can be tied in any colours, these are some i tied up to give you ideas....

Whip finish and done!

Slowly weave your thread through the hackle, and to front

Bring hackle back as well, do the same

Bring chenille to the back, tie off and clean off any extras

Bring thread to the back

And the Chenille

tie in the Hackle

Wrap tightly around the Shank

Take a snip of lead wire

Tie in marabou as a tail (as long or short as you like, krystal flash is optional)

Instructions for a standard leech- Chenille, Marabou (can use poultry plumes) Rooster saddle (obviously), lead wire

Whip finish and you're done!

Pull elx hair overtop, so it creates a sort of shell, and tie off. trim off hair past the hook, but leave a little

dub to front, and trim off any excess

Put on the dubbing

And tie it on the back, and trim excess

Take a snip of elk hair

Tie in the wire at the back

Instructions for an Olive Scud- Olive dubbing, gold wire, no. 12-20 hook, elk hair...

So here's some ideas....
as always just ask for requests... got a 6 lb brown on the scud three weeks ago!!!

What a fun thread! I'm an avid fly fisher and fly-tyer. For years I tied for our local fly shop and taught fly-tying there. Then our shop closed in the economic down-turn.
sad.png
I have so many flies that I stopped tying for nearly a year and a couple weeks ago I got back into it. Just to rediscover and hone my skills, I tied a couple dozen classic wooly buggers. I don't have any photo progressions of any of my ties, but this thread makes me think it could be fun.

I'm curious as to exactly which feathers from the bird are most frequently or easily used by those tying their own flies?

I have a million hobbies but I'll be adding tying flies and fly fishing to them soon. The main source of my curiosity is what feathers of what color do people have luck with? I'm a lifelong fisherman so I'm aware that seasons, temperatures, water level, etc. will all affect what lures will work best on a given day. I'm just looking for some insight from anyone with personal experience tying.

A lot depends on the specific location you'll be fishing and the type of fish you'll be targeting. Once you figure that out, go to the fly shop nearest that place (or search online) for what works best. Learn to tie those, gain experience fishing those flies and you'll have no shortage of ideas for variations on those original patterns. Before you know it, you'll be designing your own original patterns.

oh wow, nice buggers... i usually tie them with lead, no beadheads...

Thanks, I'll also tie some with lead and no beadheads. For some reason the beadheads seem to work better here in our high elevation AZ streams. Of course, that just might be my superstition. I really like your buggy looking flies. Do you usually fish streams or lakes? Do you ever fish saltwater? As a fisherman, I'm very envious of your location. While I've never been to BC, I understand it's a fisherman's paradise.

Last edited:
Ive personally never had any luck with the beadheads... and I tie them with a really thick hackle, just personal preference... And I fly fish all, I'm quite close to the Cowichan River, a famous river (not sure if you've heard of it) which has almon, rainbow and brown trout, smallies, and steelhead.. I nymph a lot in the winter, as the lakes don't freeze, and then switch to dries in the summer. for saltwater, a lot of the flyfishing i do is beach fishing in estuaries for Pink and Coho salmon, as well as Cutthroat trout. I have also tried flat-fishing bonefish style for flounder with a 6 wt and that was great... never tried boat flyfishing but it sounds awesome... it really is paradise here, if you ever have the chance to come over do it! and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Cheers

So in diggin through my garage I found a bobcat pelt that i didn't tan. It's worthless for the most part but the fur is still in really good shape. What would be the best use of a soft multi colored fur? For feathers I have plenty of hawk and turkey feathers ATM (my garage is hiding my poultry feathers from me...)

Back
Top Bottom