I have ao many questions!

Silkiehen

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 15, 2014
Ok, I am working on 3 breeding pens. I have a few questions on breed choices,hatcheries, needs, and ideas for run. They wont be free ranging.I am going to need bantam breeds that are very friendly. My RIR rooster attacks everyone. That's not ok. I am in Texas. Need cold and heat hardy breeds.

1. Bantams that are friendly. I don't want my Nephew and Niece scared. The afes are 2 and the other is not even one.

2. What hatchery to order from?

3.What brand of feed, percentage, etc is best for breeding quality chickens?

4. Special needs for that breed.

5. Ideas to decorate run and house.

6. Feel free to add any tips, hints, etc.

*I won't be getting any until everything is set up*

Have you had chickens before? If not, I'd recommend that you get just one breed to start with. Is there a particular reason that you are choosing bantams? I don't know a lot about bantam personalities, it's been over 40 years since I've had them... but the little banty rooster that I had was crock pot material as far as the rest of the family was concerned. He was sweet as pie to me, but boy was he a nasty tempered little bugger. Aggressiveness is sometimes more common in certain breeds, and can also be specific to a particular bird. If you're thinking that bantams will be easier to keep and manage, you might want to re-think that thought. My personal preference is that if I'm going to put time into keeping livestock, I want a good return for that time: larger eggs, decent size bird for the table. I don't think that you'll find that bantams are any better than large fowl chickens in terms of temperament. In fact, making an uneducated guess, I'd say they are a bit more feisty. Either way, welcome to BYC, and enjoy the ride. You have plenty of time to search the threads before choosing your breed(s). Check out Henderson's chicken breeds chart, then after making a few selections, go to the Chicken Breeds thread and see what people say about them. Realize that for the most part, people only post about that breed if they are in love with it. You won't hear much from the folks who've had a negative experience with that breed! You'll get a lot of info by doing a thread search on the topics that interest you. Use the search bar at the top of the page. You'll get answers to questions that you didn't even know that you had!

Have you had chickens before?  If not, I'd recommend that you get just one breed to start with.  Is there a particular reason that you are choosing bantams?  I don't know a lot about bantam personalities, it's been over 40 years since I've had them... but the little banty rooster that I had was crock pot material as far as the rest of the family was concerned.  He was sweet as pie to me, but boy was he a nasty tempered little bugger.  Aggressiveness is sometimes more common in certain breeds, and can also be specific to a particular bird.  If you're thinking that bantams will be easier to keep and manage, you might want to re-think that thought.  My personal preference is that if I'm going to put time into keeping livestock, I want a good return for that time:  larger eggs, decent size bird for the table.  I don't think that you'll find that bantams are any better than large fowl chickens in terms of temperament.  In fact,  making an uneducated guess, I'd say they are a bit more feisty.  Either way, welcome to BYC, and enjoy the ride.  You have plenty of time to search the threads before choosing your breed(s).  Check out Henderson's chicken breeds chart, then after making a few selections, go to the Chicken Breeds thread and see what people say about them.  Realize that for the most part, people only post about that breed if they are in love with it.  You won't hear much from the folks who've had a negative experience with that breed!  You'll get a lot of info by doing a thread search on the topics that interest you.  Use the search bar at the top of the page.  You'll get answers to questions that you didn't even know that you had!
I have raised chickens before! I decided to choose bantams because of their size, I am needing a very friendly breed. I will probably start out with a trio. That way i dont start off with to many roosters.

Last edited:
Sebrights! I have heard some negative things about them from others, but I love mine. They are so pretty and nice. Do not get them from the average hatchery like Mcmurray or Cackle because they are meaner, but that is the case with any breed when bred poorly.

Where did you get yours from?
Sebrights! I have heard some negative things about them from others, but I love mine. They are so pretty and nice. Do not get them from the average hatchery like Mcmurray or Cackle because they are meaner, but that is the case with any breed when bred poorly.

Yeah, I personally wouldn't buy breeding stock from a big-name hatchery. They're in it for quantity, not quality. You want high quality for breeding stock.

Lots of BYCers sell hatching eggs and there are some good breeders here.

We have a few bantams but don't know much about them. We like the silkies. They are gentle though I don't know if I'd consider them docile. We have one barred bantam Cochin (not real sure of her breed) that is very docile, but I wonder if that has more to do with being the smallest bird of the flock.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom