I have to talk POLISH!

Question:

I have 3-4 month old Polish bought as LF and Polish bought as bantams. They are all the same size :/ :/ :/
How big do bantams get? Trying to figure out what these are for sure. They are smaller than my LF hens for sure, but slightly bigger than my Japanese bantam that I had, so I am not sure. Have not had any other bantams....

Last edited:
All pretty birds in pictures above.

Next are my two hatchery babies. I have lost count of age. My guess is that they are nine weeks and both male.

They are cute! I would have to agree right now, 2 boys. But pic 3 looks almost girly, and pic 4 looks boyish from the side-can't tell.

seminolewind It is very difficult to determine gender in polish. In picture #4 the crest looks male and yet the wattles are tiny and pale. It is the source of being the only two in the hardware bin that makes me think that the hatchery just included them..............well you know why, too many cockerels. It doesn't matter to me because right now I do not have any LF roosters and the one rooster that I do have is a large size Blue Silkie who tries to act tuff but how mean can a silkie be. HA HA silkies are so funny. And I am so delighted to see these two babies hang out with two silkies and a very small silkie mix.They range in my front yard all day.
La Casa de Pollo It seems that polish bantams are half the size of the LF Polish. But all of this is dependent on the breeding. The size of the parentage and if the breeder culls for defects including not proper size. In general LF polish are not as heavy as many other LF breeds and that could be because their original purpose has been bred out. Originally they were general purpose fowl, for eating and eggs. Now they are raised for ornamental purpose by hatcheries. I have seen postings of one of the breeders on here who is trying to breed for a heavier bird, especially the breast being rounder and fuller.

Also asking those who only breed bantams would result in a different typw answer. Also consult the Polish Club site for standards required by the Polish Breeders Official records

My two cents.....the pink waddles are a boyish sign for sure. The rounder crests are girlish signs, the chef hats are boyish signs.....BUT i have had mohawks and chef hats be girls so I know that one is not always true. No idea on the lacing.....how old? My Golden Laced was about 8 weeks or so when it became more noticeable. My others are solid colors.
Thank you. I have asked this previously and been ignored. I thought the waddles meant boy and was guessing chef hat meant boy as well but I still haven't seen waddles on those. They are all 'supposed' to be pullets. My SL polish seems to be more solid black. I don't see a lot of points like on your pics. Her crest is very round and full so that is nice. Maybe she will be black after all. I really wanted an SL... but that's okay so long as she is nice. My kids call them Muppet Chickens (fondly) so they won't care.

Thank you.  I have asked this previously and been ignored.  I thought the waddles meant boy and was guessing chef hat meant boy as well but I still haven't seen waddles on those.  They are all 'supposed' to be pullets.  My SL polish seems to be more solid black.  I don't see a lot of points like on your pics.  Her crest is very round and full so that is nice.  Maybe she will be black after all.  I really wanted an SL... but that's okay so long as she is nice.  My kids call them Muppet Chickens (fondly) so they won't care.

If the crest feathers are really rounded on the tips that is a good sign. Pointier tips also are signs of boyishness :) I have also noticed that the bearded Polish roos get red later so they can fool you into thinking they are girls a little longer.

I have updates on my Polish chicks!  All 3 were born within 12 hrs of each other.  They are 7 weeks old now.  One of them is clearly different.  Its poof is really odd, narrow and crazy.  The other 2 have big round afro poofs.  With my luck, they will all turn into roosters (thats been the theme so far).  But right now, I think I might have 2 pullets and a roo?  What do y'all think?  The little one on the left, the potential roo, has the best personality ever.  I can't keep him from jumping onto my lens when I am taking photos.

Here is the side by side comparison

here is the one I think is a roo.  He is so friendly, but was very loud today!

My daughter loving the little chick.  This is my one with the goofy toe ;) (it was probably broken and healed crooked)

Just hanging out!

O so very pretty ... Love the photos....

If the crest feathers are really rounded on the tips that is a good sign. Pointier tips also are signs of boyishness
smile.png
I have also noticed that the bearded Polish roos get red later so they can fool you into thinking they are girls a little longer.

I was just out there but will check the tips later. I took a look and I think I might have two cockerels and four pullets. The Chef Hat guess. I took a close look at my cockerel (as I have accepted that is what he is) and while he is still the only one with pink waddles I noticed he also has little fleshy 'horns' on either side of his nostrils, a bit hidden by the crest. I have ONE girl with a nice beard and another with potential. Most of them don't seem to have much in the way of beards. I bought these as a result of another person needing to downsize quickly and they were part of a "package" I picked out. There aren't many Houdans in our area and I haven't yet found one other person with them in this state. Maybe I will have to keep them and breed a few so I can sell them and make friends through birds. All in the name of the breed, of course.
wink.png
I didn't find a thread for Houdans either. I would like to start one but am concerned that I will duplicate something I just didn't find.

Back
Top Bottom