I have to talk POLISH!

You are absolutely right. And have a very good way of saying it. Many people have a chicken die here and there and wonder why. That was me till I hatched eggs I got from someone and all the chicks died (paralysis, wasting). Then I knew. This year I'm finding out that my vaccinated ones that were exposed 8 weeks later, haven't died from Marek's, but from opportunistic infections due to their poor immune system. I now have to keep all my roos because I can't give them away and hurt someone else's flock. You are so right about not knowing. Let's say you're a breeder and vaccinate every chick. Then sell lots of chicks. And because of the lack of symptoms, those chicks have exposed all those new flocks to virus, and you never had any idea. I really think people just ought to think that they all have Marek's.

Mareks does not affect really young chicks, did those exterior source chicks die after being moved outside?? You do know there are other diseases besides mareks that cause paralysis, and even mareks doesn't always present with paralysis, the tumor growth (since mareks is essentially a cancer) that causes it, and not all birds are affected the same, some die or waste from tumors on the organs before it gets to the point of causing paralysis....

But on exposure the most common way Mareks is spread is through wild birds. As many other diseases are spread. Also mareks is a disease that since it is shed from the body, it can be transmitted cage to cage (at shows, swaps, etc), yard to yard, and thought to be carried on the wind as well.

Last edited:
Why do some flocks die out completely with Marks and with others you do not even know you have it??? is it age specific? or just a shot in the dark as to what will happen? If you have Marks will your chicks keep dying from your own flock? or do most losses occur with the initial infection?

Why do some flocks die out completely with Marks and with others you do not even know you have it??? is it age specific? or just a shot in the dark as to what will happen? If you have Marks will your chicks keep dying from your own flock? or do most losses occur with the initial infection?

most will die with the initial infection. though they will always carry it, and if outside stressers come into play it can re-activate the disease so to speak though usually its very rare for baby chicks or mature bird to die of it. It is most common and strikes hardest on birds 1-4 months of age...and in a present flock that sheds the disease yes you run the potential of each next generation being striken with it in that 'teenage' period, thus if you know you have mareks present, vaccinate ALL birds no matter age, and from then on out don't let broodies raise chicks only brooder raise them, vaccinate indoors and keep away from older birds for 2 weeks after vaccination. this will help reduce the shedding and spreading of the disease and lower the likely hood of losing birds from it because the main killer (tumors) are inhibited from growing as big or rapidly.

part of the reason some flocks are hit harder is overall health of the flock before hand, if they were already carriers or symptomatic of something else, age, and theres different strains of mareks. also there are a couple other diseases that present with paralysis and sudden death, so some people just assume its mareks, the only way to be SURE if its mareks or whatever may be ailing your flock is to invest in necropsy of atleast 1 animal that dies mysteriously especially when you have multiple deaths in a short period of time.

I have a polish roo that is still young, maybe 20 weeks or so. He has to go! If there is anyone in the vicinity of Bunnell Florida that would like to have him, PM me-
Thanks

Ok any boy/girl guesses yet
big_smile.png
They are almost 5 weeks old

#1 Girl?

#2 Girl?

#3 Girl?

#4 Boy?

I still need to get pics of the last two. I have a Silver Laced and a Red Polish they where a little to quick to get a good pic of.

Hello, here are some more recent pics of my Polish. I am thinking that the Red is a cockerel and the White is a pullet. Any guesses? The Red has pink on his wattles and where the comb should be, while the White does not. He also has a mow hawk. Even if the Red is a pullet, I am rehoming him/her. He/she is a little on the crazy flighty side. I'm sure someone with more experience could tame/handle him though.
The Red, Tequila:

His tail

The White, Dipsy

Notice the roundness of the crest.

Notice the wattle color and size on the Red, compared to the White:
The Red's wattles are pink, and even his comb bump is pink. He also has much bigger wattles than the White

Now, the White. She has orange wattles, very small at that, and no signs of a comb.

Help would be appreciated.

Quote:
Those exterior source eggs/chicks were hatched by my silkies. At 6 weeks old they started to have paralysis, one or two every week. Then they would waste, and pecked at food but were not really picking it up. I would give them a week, then euthanize.

In the past two years, the oldest I lost was the first one who was with "Typhoid Mary". He was 18 months old. He had paralysis, wasting, got a cloudy eye, eventually the paralysis moved up to where he could not control his neck. But he still crowed most mornings!

Annabell, If I hatch my own eggs from my own hens they are fine. So my theory is that some eggs you hatch from other people have some resistance from their mother. Alot has to do with the immune system as well.

The others I've lost in the past 2 years were all under a year old. All acting normal, appeared to be eating, wasted away. One every 3-4 months. And not all my hatches in the past 2 years have had so many deaths. Usually 1 of a hatch would show symptoms at around 8 months old.

So I'm thinking that some of the outside eggs I've bought were laid by exposed hens, therefore carrying some resistance , enough to get thru the early months. Eggs don't carry Marek's, but can carry some immunity.

I've not heard that wild birds are the most common spreaders. My next door neighbor has not had any problems. But I'd love to read the material you've read that says that about wild birds. (I am always learning).

Shadows, my downfall was buying 1 pullet from a swap. I had a closed flock up until then. I just hope that others learn from all the people who have been thru it.
Did you lose birds to Marek's?

actually i was wrong about the birds, my mind is scattered, but it is shed in the dander of birds, and it settles into litter, dirt, etc. and can be transmitted by wind blowing litter and dander around, and I know thats very possible around here when we get gusts of 50+ winds that blow shavings, dust, pine needles, etc everywhere from my yard to my neighbors (or vice versa)

and yes I have dealt with mareks before, and it sucks. Other transmission ways is from visiting swaps, sells, etc. and bringing back your birds you didn't sell that may have been exposed to infected birds at the sell/swap/shows...also bringing home infected litter/dander on your clothes/shoes and exposing your birds to it...it can live for months :

this is from the Merck Veterinary Manual :

The disease is highly contagious and readily transmitted among chickens. The virus matures into a fully infective, enveloped form in the epithelium of the feather follicle, from which it is released into the environment. It may survive for months in poultry house litter or dust. Dust or dander from infected chickens is particularly effective in transmission. Once the virus is introduced into a chicken flock, regardless of vaccination status, infection spreads quickly from bird to bird. Infected chickens continue to be carriers for long periods and act as sources of infectious virus. Shedding of infectious virus can be reduced, but not prevented, by prior vaccination. Unlike serotypes 1 and 2, which are highly contagious, turkey herpesvirus is not readily transmissible among chickens (although it is easily transmitted among turkeys, its natural host). Attenuated serotype 1 strains vary greatly in their transmissibility among chickens; the most highly attenuated are not transmitted. Marek’s disease virus is not vertically transmitted. The incidence of Marek’s disease is quite variable in commercial flocks and depends on strain and dose of virus, age at exposure, maternal antibody, host gender and genetics, other concurrent diseases, and several environmental factors including stress.

Typically, affected birds show only depression before death, although emaciation may be noted. A transient paralysis syndrome (unilateral leg paresis) has been associated with Marek’s disease, causing a characteristic posture of one leg held forward and the other held backward as lesions progress. Chickens become ataxic for periods of several days and then recover. This syndrome is rare in immunized birds.

Back
Top Bottom