I have to talk POLISH!

Oh good. I have heard so many stories of people drowning their chicks when they were just trying to help. You could get a aquarium tube and put that into its crop and feed it that way. Here is a link to a forum that tells you how to tube feed. Good luck

http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?t=7933

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.... very helpful information.
smile.png

would some sugar water help i know it is used to give other animals a little boost so they have energy to eat.

would some sugar water help i know it is used to give other animals a little boost so they have energy to eat.
Yes, I often add sugar to chicks that I have shipped to boost their calories. It is best to use Bakers Sugar as it is very fine and dissolves easily in cold water. Good idea

Quote:
You are soooo right! Just dribble water on the side of their beak.
I think my first Polish chick died because the chick feed crumbles were too big. Then I had a batch of Polish , and they looked like they were always eating, turned out they weren't , just throwing the food around. I ground up the crumbles and they just went ape over the food. So I grind up the crumbles for a few weeks for all chicks now.

Sometimes to get their interest in food, I make a wet mash from the crumbles. They go crazy for it, like it's the biggest treat in the world. I used to put yogurt in it too, and sometimes applesauce. You can swipe some on the side of their beak and let them taste it. If you get one eating it, the others will all join in.

looking for some helpful ideas. I had eight white crested black polish hatch on Saturday. They were all doing really well I thought. But last night I noticed that one little fella was smaller than the rest and not doing well. It just stood and snoozed, just seemed like it couldn't keep its eyes open. I figured it was weak and gave it some vitamin and electrolyte from a syringe. It perked up a little, but it wasn't eating. Unfortunately, I found it dead in the brooder this morning. And I noticed another one that was standing with its eyes closed and seemingly oblivious to its surroundings. The rest were running around and eating fine.

This is my first hatch of Polish babies and I was wondering if I am missing something that Polish chicks need. Thanks for any advise, I don't want to lose anymore of these adorable babies!
Grind up the crumbles! Or make a wet mash! Or both

I give my new chicks GQF Vitamin Plus powder in their water and feed them a natural, finely ground, whole grain cereal I buy at the health food store. They are crazy about the grains which are full of vitamins and an added benefit is that the grains keep your chicks from getting pasty butt. You will need to give them some chick grit to help them digest it.

Here is a picture of the brand, but it is best to buy their 9 grain cereal that does not have soy in it. Good luck with your chicks
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom