I have to talk POLISH!

Thanks. I just want to make sure that if I offer some of her eggs for trade, that if I call her one thing, later on someone isn't going to call her something else and accuse me of misrepresenting her. It doesn't matter a hill of beans to me what she is (I am a visual person , rather then a name person) but it might matter to someone else. I like, Cream Laced Polish. She is too light in color to be called buff, too dark to be called white, and does not have a darker neck so she can't be called wheaten. Cream is the only color that fits. On close observation of her feathers, you can see a slight lacing. I had never noticed this before.

On a side note. Are spurs common on Polish hens?

Last edited:
I think spurs are just due to breeding, 2 of my wc black hens who I brought separately both have spurs, they were quite old when I bought them though.
BUT my 4 year old wc cuckoo hen and all the young hens have no spurs.
;):rolleyes:

Thanks. I just want to make sure that if I offer some of her eggs for trade, that if I call her one thing, later on someone isn't going to call her something else and accuse me of misrepresenting her. It doesn't matter a hill of beans to me what she is (I am a visual person , rather then a name person) but it might matter to someone else. I like, Cream Laced Polish. She is too light in color to be called buff, too dark to be called white, and does not have a darker neck so she can't be called wheaten. Cream is the only color that fits. On close observation of her feathers, you can see a slight lacing. I had never noticed this before.

On a side note. Are spurs common on Polish hens?
she looks something like my buff lace i got from a hatchery i think mine is a little darker

looking for some helpful ideas. I had eight white crested black polish hatch on Saturday. They were all doing really well I thought. But last night I noticed that one little fella was smaller than the rest and not doing well. It just stood and snoozed, just seemed like it couldn't keep its eyes open. I figured it was weak and gave it some vitamin and electrolyte from a syringe. It perked up a little, but it wasn't eating. Unfortunately, I found it dead in the brooder this morning. And I noticed another one that was standing with its eyes closed and seemingly oblivious to its surroundings. The rest were running around and eating fine.

This is my first hatch of Polish babies and I was wondering if I am missing something that Polish chicks need. Thanks for any advise, I don't want to lose anymore of these adorable babies!

I have never hatched Polish before, but I have hatched several other breeds, as well as received many chicks through the mail from hatcheries. My experience has been that at least one or two chicks out of a dozen will die for no visible reason during the first week. I don't know why, but my guess is that the chicks have something wrong with them to start with and cannot survive normally, but because they have a lot of energy from the yolk sack, they have enough energy to live a few days after hatching before dying. It's just a guess; I could be totally wrong.

looking for some helpful ideas. I had eight white crested black polish hatch on Saturday. They were all doing really well I thought. But last night I noticed that one little fella was smaller than the rest and not doing well. It just stood and snoozed, just seemed like it couldn't keep its eyes open. I figured it was weak and gave it some vitamin and electrolyte from a syringe. It perked up a little, but it wasn't eating. Unfortunately, I found it dead in the brooder this morning. And I noticed another one that was standing with its eyes closed and seemingly oblivious to its surroundings. The rest were running around and eating fine.

This is my first hatch of Polish babies and I was wondering if I am missing something that Polish chicks need. Thanks for any advise, I don't want to lose anymore of these adorable babies!
Polish don't need any special care. I find them just as hardy as any other breed that I raise.

Sounds like it was 3-4 days old when it passed which means it survived off the yolk for the fist few days. Is there a chance it never ate or drank on its own?

I would dip each chicks beak in the water and make sure they are swallowing. Also, hard boil or scramble some eggs to make sure everyone is eating. Sometimes we think everyone is eating and drinking but we miss one.

Be very careful using a syringe, you can easily drown the chick. It is better to simply dip beak in water, tilt head back and watch the chick swallow. If you know how to put a tube into its crop you can use a syringe that way.

Polish don't need any special care. I find them just as hardy as any other breed that I raise.

Sounds like it was 3-4 days old when it passed which means it survived off the yolk for the fist few days. Is there a chance it never ate or drank on its own?

I would dip each chicks beak in the water and make sure they are swallowing. Also, hard boil or scramble some eggs to make sure everyone is eating. Sometimes we think everyone is eating and drinking but we miss one.

Be very careful using a syringe, you can easily drown the chick. It is better to simply dip beak in water, tilt head back and watch the chick swallow. If you know how to put a tube into its crop you can use a syringe that way.
Thanks for the ideas. I didn't actually force the syringe, but just droppered the liquid on its beak for it to swallow. You are correct in that I'm not absolutely sure that it was eating. But now that it is weak, how can I encourage it to eat? I showed it the food in the brooder and it just wandered away. I tried pulling it out and feeding it on its own, but it seemed to have no interest. Poor baby. I've raised a few differnt kinds of chicks, but these polish are the first to give me these kinds of fits. And I'm just worried for them, and willing to do what ever it takes to get them to thrive.

Back
Top Bottom