I have to talk POLISH!

PIC_0229.jpg
couple of my buff laced

Okay so I have a question about a gold laced cockerel I have. He does have gold but is very heavy on the lacing and has an all black breast and legs. I'm just wondering if he will be good for breeding the right colors of if I should sell him as a pet for someone. He's very pretty to look at but I'm not sure if he'll be good for breeding. Some of the pullets I have have very light or no lacing at all on some of their feathers so I was thinking maybe with those crossing I would end up somewhere in between with nice lacing??? I could really use some opinions on this
idunno.gif

To anyone asking the gender of their Polish - Look at their backs. Look closely at the feathers sitting atop the backs, between the wings, and tell me - Are any of them shinier, more pointy, or generally more different than the rest? Same goes for the crest. Any of them more toothy, pointed, but most importantly more shiny than the rest? That's you cue for a boy.

Comb/wattles shouldn't be an easy thing since Polish are supposed to have pretty much no comb, and wattles either not existing or very small even if it's a boy.

From what I see in the photos, Moonchild I agree. Kristye I'd like to see more photos of the back or general body and less of the crest.

Okay so I have a question about a gold laced cockerel I have. He does have gold but is very heavy on the lacing and has an all black breast and legs. I'm just wondering if he will be good for breeding the right colors of if I should sell him as a pet for someone. He's very pretty to look at but I'm not sure if he'll be good for breeding. Some of the pullets I have have very light or no lacing at all on some of their feathers so I was thinking maybe with those crossing I would end up somewhere in between with nice lacing??? I could really use some opinions on this
idunno.gif

Build the barn before you paint it. That's my opinion.

If his lacing isn't the best you've ever gotten your hands on, there's a better bird out there - However! His type is very important. Are you shooting for bearded or non-bearded? Either way his crest should be very full, forward, and neat looking. His tail should be held at the right angle, and not straight up. His weight shouldn't be too low, his breast should feel nice to the touch, his body shouldn't be too skinny or too upright. His comb and wattles once mature should be hardly there.

To anyone asking the gender of their Polish - Look at their backs. Look closely at the feathers sitting atop the backs, between the wings, and tell me - Are any of them shinier, more pointy, or generally more different than the rest? Same goes for the crest. Any of them more toothy, pointed, but most importantly more shiny than the rest? That's you cue for a boy.

Comb/wattles shouldn't be an easy thing since Polish are supposed to have pretty much no comb, and wattles either not existing or very small even if it's a boy.

From what I see in the photos, Moonchild I agree. Kristye I'd like to see more photos of the back or general body and less of the crest.

At what age do the shiny feathers start coming in? I remember on our EE roo he had a couple of those darker shiny feathers when we got him around 10 weeks old and then his pointy feathers started coming in under everything about 2 weeks later.

Build the barn before you paint it. That's my opinion.

If his lacing isn't the best you've ever gotten your hands on, there's a better bird out there - However! His type is very important. Are you shooting for bearded or non-bearded? Either way his crest should be very full, forward, and neat looking. His tail should be held at the right angle, and not straight up. His weight shouldn't be too low, his breast should feel nice to the touch, his body shouldn't be too skinny or too upright. His comb and wattles once mature should be hardly there.
Okay that's good to know. So with how they are bantams should I keep the smallest rooster and hens from this flock? Is the breed standard different for bantams than for the standard polish?

At what age do Polish start laying? I found a very small white egg in the barn today. It either belongs to one of my Polish girls or one of the Leghorns pooted.

Okay that's good to know. So with how they are bantams should I keep the smallest rooster and hens from this flock? Is the breed standard different for bantams than for the standard polish?

That depends on your goal for breeding. Our goal is egg production and correct body type. We will only breed to hens that lay 4-5 times per week. Of those hens, we will only keep ones with correct body type and structure. Once we have that sorted out we will start to work on colors and markings. Of course temperament is always considered. Some people don't take that into account, but our chickens are also our pets and a good temperament is important to us.

Back
Top Bottom