I have to talk POLISH!

OK, so the Polish thread got locked but I NEED to talk Polish! I've been learning so much about this breed, have my first breeding stock and they're just old enough for me to start getting input on what they bring to the table and then........we get put in Lockdown! /img/smilies/he.gif

So I'm starting this thread until they do what they need to do to the other one.

My 1st question on this guys is that he has a very "V" comb! Good? Bad? Doesn't matter? Breed to a hen with a very small comb? Keep him as my lap bird (because that's where he spends his time)? I have other questions with all my birds but wanted to start with this question on this bird.
312722_10150355856944028_767184027_8241813_950082350_n.jpg

2nd Question: This boy is a "Black Self"? He has the smallest wattles and comb of all the other roo's. He does have a bit of orange in his saddle feathers. What does he bring to the table?
166946_146883942075560_139312046166083_211247_286154068_n.jpg

I posted about this 5 toeded boy a while back on the closed thread, someone thought he could be a rare breed....she asked to post a picture of him but I just got around to take more picks. Here's Mr T with one of my WCB roo's. The WCB's name is Angel. His crest is very large and when he looks right at you, it looks like angel wings so my 3 year old granddaughter named him Angel
300154_146883995408888_139312046166083_211248_1000234808_n.jpg

Just to throw a girl in here, but it's not a good picture, I cut her tail off, here's Cher:
294597_146885492075405_139312046166083_211253_1422709959_n.jpg

I am asking for critique so please do. /img/smilies/big_smile.png

This is maybe butting in but I'm new on here and trying to find polish chickens for my daughter! She's having a difficult pregnancy and hubby has built her a place for the chickens she's fallen in love with! POLISH :) IF ANYONE could help me find some for sale I'd love to surprise her with some lovely pets?? Thanks

Have you tried Craigslist? I always like to search "Polish" in the farm+garden section of Craigslist. Otherwise you could pre-order from hatcheries online, but they don't ship out until Jan or February at the earliest I think. There are breeders and people selling them here, but sadly not all of us are local to your area and not all of us ship chicks or adult birds. Also, adult birds being shipped are eexxpensive for people who just want pets. Either way, good luck! Polish are and have always been among my favorite breeds!

Have you tried Craigslist? I always like to search "Polish" in the farm+garden section of Craigslist. Otherwise you could pre-order from hatcheries online, but they don't ship out until Jan or February at the earliest I think. There are breeders and people selling them here, but sadly not all of us are local to your area and not all of us ship chicks or adult birds. Also, adult birds being shipped are eexxpensive for people who just want pets. Either way, good luck! Polish are and have always been among my favorite breeds!

I found a lady on Craigslist last night that states she has rare and exotic breeds. I'm going to give her a call. I got given a 5 month old polish/silkie cross for her. He's a doll :)

My baby girl can't see, I need to trim the feathers from eyes! She's 7/8 weeks old.

Cute girl. You sure she can't see? I can see her eye from here and I've had girls with much bigger crests than that run around with pretty good vision. It's usually rain and muck that are the enemy.

Cute girl. You sure she can't see? I can see her eye from here and I've had girls with much bigger crests than that run around with pretty good vision. It's usually rain and muck that are the enemy.
I had brushed the feathers away from her eyes for the second pic. I've watched her run into things, poor baby. She sticks to the tail feathers of her hatch mates and when she gets separated from them she'll freeze and call out for them. This morning I went outside and brushed the feathers away from her eyes again and she ran straight to her hatch mates without calling to them first so I know she can see. I'm just going to get someone to hold her so I can trim the feathers back a little.

I considered trimming when they were younger. Now they are so used to the crests that they do fine. I have a flock of what hubby calls "the bobbleheads" running around. They are the nicest birds.

Back
Top Bottom