I have to talk POLISH!

I'm glad you were able to get away from it. Whatever strain I have, it is horrible. As is most of the Marek's that I have encountered on this site. Telling people that it isn't as bad as it really is just isn't helping anyone. Marek's is bad. It is getting worse. More and more people are having problems with it...and it is being diagnosed through necropsy. That's the big difference. Not many people cared to have necropsies done...they just said, oops, Marek's and euthanized everything. Not really knowing if what they were dealing with was, in fact, Marek's. There are many other diseases that can mimic Marek's in symptoms. The only way to know for sure is with a necropsy.

Yes after I had a few 3-7 month olds turn up suddenly dead, and some birds with droopy wings, anemia, etc. we sent in 4 birds to be necropsied. 3 of the 4 had mareks

Last edited:
Ouch. I've been there. Only had 2 necropsied..the first that died and one that died suddenly with no symptoms. Both, Marek's. I don't need any more to tell me what is killing them all. I'm hoping that the disease is winding down. For the first time in many months, I have only one bird showing symptoms. She will be moved into chicken ICU where I can keep a close eye on her. She's been in remission before and I'm hoping for another. She's vaccinated, twice. If no improvement soon, I will have my DH euthanize her.
Yes after I had a few 3-7 month olds turn up suddenly dead, and some birds with droopy wings, anemia, etc. we sent in 4 birds to be necropsied. 3 of the 4 had mareks

Wow it is sad that you guys have lost so many birds and are 'stuck' with that disease for so long! Scary, now I am really hesitant to bring new birds in, I mostly hatch all of mine from boughten fertile eggs.....so far I have never lost a chicken, and they have been really healthy, and when i buy live birds I make sure it is from people who have not lost birds or had sick birds, -people that I know.....but it is so scary how easily this could happen. I am grateful for your posts to remind me how careful we must be!

My advice to you...stick with hatching eggs. Or, as you say, people that you know. I ended up with Marek's in my flock by trusting people who said that they never had a sick chicken or, any kind of disease in their flocks. NPIP makes absolutely no difference when dealing with Marek's...it is not tested for so, NPIP is no indicator that the disease isn't present in that flock.
Wow it is sad that you guys have lost so many birds and are 'stuck' with that disease for so long! Scary, now I am really hesitant to bring new birds in, I mostly hatch all of mine from boughten fertile eggs.....so far I have never lost a chicken, and they have been really healthy, and when i buy live birds I make sure it is from people who have not lost birds or had sick birds, -people that I know.....but it is so scary how easily this could happen. I am grateful for your posts to remind me how careful we must be!

Hi, i'm 'Birds momma and I think I am an addict.....lol...

I just got my first Polish girl yesterday. I have never had a Polish before. I'm scared and dont know what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
big_smile.png

i have done a lot of reading about them, checking out your posts with Polish and so on. Any new momma advise? I was told she is 10 weeks old. She is sooooo tiny. I named her Daquri.

Sorry to hear all the Marek's stories. Frightening. Well, I've been promising to get some more pics up of my first Polish. They are now about 6 weeks old and just lovely.These are some of them and the WC blue, black are from mycutekitties and the buff laced and tolbunt from Bare Necessities. I love these little birds.

Sorry to hear all the Marek's stories. Frightening. Well, I've been promising to get some more pics up of my first Polish. They are now about 6 weeks old and just lovely.These are some of them and the WC blue, black are from mycutekitties and the buff laced and tolbunt from Bare Necessities. I love these little birds.

Pretty birds! Love my polish :)

My polish are now 3 months and 2 months. The older ones that I had thought were boys early on and then thought were girls, now seem to be looking more boy again. No one is crowing yet, soo who knows yet :).

Here's Sexy, my favorite of the 3 month olds, I'm pretty sure Sexy is a boy. Behind him is one of the 2 month old tolbunts

2 month old crele hen, I like her markings :)

Two month old tolbunt

Two month old cuckoo and buff crele

3 month old gold laced and 2 month old tolbunt

Two month old tolbunt (with wet head) and gold laced

Also love the 2 mo crele pullet with the black crest, very nice! Cute head. The boy in the first pic has a lot of black too, I like the way he looks, they are all adorable! My BYC friend is hatching crele polish, it will be fun to see the baby chicks. I would get one from her, but I am holding out for the tolbunt color, hoping to get some hatching eggs in the spring. If I can wait that long......:p

My polish are now 3 months and 2 months. The older ones that I had thought were boys early on and then thought were girls, now seem to be looking more boy again. No one is crowing yet, soo who knows yet :).

Here's Sexy, my favorite of the 3 month olds, I'm pretty sure Sexy is a boy. Behind him is one of the 2 month old tolbunts

2 month old crele hen, I like her markings :)

Two month old tolbunt

Two month old cuckoo and buff crele

3 month old gold laced and 2 month old tolbunt

Two month old tolbunt (with wet head) and gold laced
I love all these wonderful colors!!!!

Back
Top Bottom