I just started my 1st incubation...

mix3dbreed

Chirping
Sep 17, 2015
Took me 5 days to get all 48 eggs. I wanted from diferent people and diferent places. Thats why it took so long.
Another thing was i wanted to start on a saturday so day21 would also be on a saturday. That means more people around the incubator watching for the hatching.

I will post a few pics and video later. Most are just mixed breeds. But i got a person that has brahm light. So 7 eggs from those kinds.

Lets see how this goes.

The one that lays with its leg out needs to be culled. It has no chance of recovery.

The others that were not standing did look like they were growing okay. Is there Cornish breed in your pen? Some of those birds have legs like trees.

It looks like there are quite a few pullets in there based on the fine-boned shanks.

I don't know how you got them all to stand still for the video! Very cute! I agree with Walnut, the one that can't walk is likely too far gone to be saved. I'm sorry. Leg issues need to be addressed in the first days. You can google chicken leg issues, look for a site called Poultry Podiatry. But its likely beyond help.
Good looking chicks though!

Thank you for your replys. Honestly i dont know how they all ( except one) stood still. They are very calm. Everyday i would put my hand and move them from 1 side to another, so they could get use to me or my hand.
Funny thing is there are a few that would jump on my hand. But putting them there for 10 seconds and video them like that, i was amazed.

The was no trick or glue for that matter.

Im going to go look up the best way to cull that one. Feel bad.

Thanks again.

I think you hypnotized them! Haha, just teasing.

Here's a link that I like on leg issues. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
Splay leg or slipped tendon would be my guess, from the brief view of the chick. Might help you decide if its best to cull.
And it happens to all of us at some point, so don't feel too bad. Its Mother Nature's way...

First 24hours are done. Here is a small video.
Im taking notes hourly of the temperature and Humidaty.

Not much else one can do right now.

Last edited:
Day two is here. Humidity dropped a bit. Need a bit more water. But ill let is reach 50% then add a bit.
Everything else is good.

Thanks for watching

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom