I just started my 1st incubation...

Its best if you feel the need to help, to only remove the air cell end of the shell at most. Make the chick do the rest, when its ready. They look really cute though!! :)

Well the one i help out of the shell didnt stand a chance. You cant cheat death. He passed away tonight. When i came home he was dead, his head was down in the space where we put our finger to take the bottom floor. Im going to make sure it doesnt happen in the future.

The other one that was stuck in his shell, i put him in warm water to try and peel off the rest. Done that ( should of done that yesterday.) Now hes laying around not much sign of life. But kicks once an hour.

Im up to 21. And still 17 eggs in the incubator. Day 23 in a few minutes.

How long should i continue? Some say 24, other 23. Whats the norm?

For most of my hatching friends, the day you quit depends on your intent for the chicks. Usually all that are going to hatch will hatch with 48 hours of the first one. The longer you let them go, the more chance for problems. If they are pets, or entertainment, you can give them as long as you want, just know that there could be issues with delayed development, etc. Folks who breed will usually cut off the incubator 48 hours after the first one hatches. I wait until I know they have all hatched or died.

Have you considered eggtopsies for any that do not hatch?

Opening up the egg after the hatch is over (after you make sure they are not alive, of course). Sometimes its obvious why one didn't hatch. For example, if they are in the wrong position, or you could see that it might be deformed, or whatever may be the cause of it not hatching. It can be difficult if you are squeamish, but its very educational. There are websites that show development by day, so you can also figure out close to what day they died. I would highly suggest it, if you can do it.
Do a google search for "chicken eggtopsy"....

Oh i did that. I wasnt sure if i had the stones to do it. But i did.

So the 1st incubation is over. 20 birds alive , kicking and screaming. Funyy as hell thos litle guys.

So here is the math.

48 eggs started this journey.
Candled them then later on i watercandled them and took out 8 eggs on day 17 or 18. I cracked those eggs and 2 had a developed form. The other werent Fertil.

So from the other 40 that went on to end the incubation 22 hatched and lived. 2 of those had a hard time getting out of the shell.
The 1st one i took the shell and he was still with a bit a blood. But 24h later he was walking around. But 24 hours after that he was laying down with his head in a small space and he was gone.

The 2nd one hit me hard. I knew it was a Brahma light and i really wanted it to make it. This time i didnt touch the shell, figured he could do it. But that night was costly, he lost alot of energy so i took off the shell 8-10 hours too late. He was still breeathing for 36 hours, but he coudlnt eat or drink so he passed.

The other 18 that were still in the incubator when the last one went to the brooder so i waited for another 12hours and watercandled them. No movement.

So i cracked them open. Of those 18 , 8 had almost full form, maybe day 16-17 or 18. The other 2 looked like day 5-6-7.

The other 8 werent fedrtil.

So instead of having 32. I have 20. Not sad for this, just wished i could of done something more.. Not sure if its k to post the pics of the cracker eggs. Dont want to offend anyone.

I think this was a good 1st incubation. Maybe not % wise. But those 20 birds are hell of funny.

I wanna thank everyone who posted here and helped or tried to help me out.

I apreciate it alot.

Thank you very much

20 is better than none! Some eggs were never meant to hatch. I think you did pretty well considering how many did not develop.

Those that didn't hatch on their own were not strong enough to hatch on their own. As you saw from the first, it's not always a "save" when you help. Sometimes they are not going to make it.

Enjoy that 20 and add more to your flock when you set again.

Exactly. We are enjoying the 20. Everyone here always keeps an eye on them. If they have water, if they have food.And just to play with them.

But when they are sleeping, thats the best part. Keeping them inside the house in the 1st week is also a plus. We dont have to walk outside to check on them.

Its been a very fun week for us. Everyone who comes to my house love and stop to watch the litle chicks.

Today i took them out of the cardboard Brooder and took a 10 sec video of them. All 20.

So as you can all see, i have a big problem. On of them had a small problem and didnt develop fast enough and was always under the rest. So i took him away with another also fragile so they could survive. Now he cant walk.

What should i do? I feel bad to put him down. Wanted to wait and see if it was a rooster or hen. But either way his faith has been determined i guess.

Is this video they are getting their new home. More waterand more feed. And of course more space. They are also right next to most of my flock.

I would apreciate some advice on the one who cant walk.

Thank you

The one that lays with its leg out needs to be culled. It has no chance of recovery.

The others that were not standing did look like they were growing okay. Is there Cornish breed in your pen? Some of those birds have legs like trees.

It looks like there are quite a few pullets in there based on the fine-boned shanks.

Back
Top Bottom