I just started my 1st incubation...

The one that lays with its leg out needs to be culled. It has no chance of recovery.

The others that were not standing did look like they were growing okay. Is there Cornish breed in your pen? Some of those birds have legs like trees.

It looks like there are quite a few pullets in there based on the fine-boned shanks.
Thanks for your replay.

Im not sure about the word culled. Ill google it in a bit. The rest look ok. Not sure about Cornish . But none of these birds came from my flock. I made sure of that.
Those black ones are huge compared to the others. Maybe roosters in the making. This next week we can get a sense of what we are having.

Thanks again.

I don't know how you got them all to stand still for the video! Very cute! I agree with Walnut, the one that can't walk is likely too far gone to be saved. I'm sorry. Leg issues need to be addressed in the first days. You can google chicken leg issues, look for a site called Poultry Podiatry. But its likely beyond help.
Good looking chicks though!

I don't know how you got them all to stand still for the video! Very cute! I agree with Walnut, the one that can't walk is likely too far gone to be saved. I'm sorry. Leg issues need to be addressed in the first days. You can google chicken leg issues, look for a site called Poultry Podiatry. But its likely beyond help.
Good looking chicks though!

Thank you for your replys. Honestly i dont know how they all ( except one) stood still. They are very calm. Everyday i would put my hand and move them from 1 side to another, so they could get use to me or my hand.
Funny thing is there are a few that would jump on my hand. But putting them there for 10 seconds and video them like that, i was amazed.

The was no trick or glue for that matter.

Im going to go look up the best way to cull that one. Feel bad.

Thanks again.

Thank you for your replys. Honestly i dont know how they all ( except one) stood still. They are very calm. Everyday i would put my hand and move them from 1 side to another, so they could get use to me or my hand.
Funny thing is there are a few that would jump on my hand. But putting them there for 10 seconds and video them like that, i was amazed.

The was no trick or glue for that matter.

Im going to go look up the best way to cull that one. Feel bad.

Thanks again.

I think you hypnotized them! Haha, just teasing.

Here's a link that I like on leg issues. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
Splay leg or slipped tendon would be my guess, from the brief view of the chick. Might help you decide if its best to cull.
And it happens to all of us at some point, so don't feel too bad. Its Mother Nature's way...

I think you hypnotized them! Haha, just teasing.

Here's a link that I like on leg issues. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
Splay leg or slipped tendon would be my guess, from the brief view of the chick. Might help you decide if its best to cull.
And it happens to all of us at some point, so don't feel too bad. Its Mother Nature's way...
Who knows, maybe they were hypnotized by the white cardboard. I was thinking if one of these starts to go crazy its going to be an ugly fall for them. One almost did fall off i the end.
Maybe because it was one at a time and no other was close. No noise or other people around.I got luck and the video turned out very good.

As for the injured one. I took him out of his misery. No point in delaying that. My guess was he was born fragile and then probably stomp by others during the night. When i separated him he could stand a bit, but maybe too late.

So latest count 19 still living. I need to redue my math. Thank you, you guys have been helpfull.

Sorry you had to do it, but it's part of poultry keeping.
Yeah. I hate when we loose chickens like that. I always ask how or why they die. But this one was too young.

I better get use to. The other 2 didnt make it, but it was way difernt then culling them. Ty

Just a smal video of them at 3 weeks. Some are big, really huge compared to others.
Had to separte 1, because he was always on his back. So wanted to protect him

Back
Top Bottom