I moved them outside at 2 weeks. Yay or nay?

They do but for 4 it’s not so bad. That’s only a 4x4 coop and 4x10 or 6x7 or similar size run. Not terrible size wise. And you can raise the coop up and put it inside the run to save room.
This is minimums of course. More space the better if you have the room for it.

Also for practicality, you have to consider how difficult it would be for you to access and maintain a very small coop or run. It probably sounds easier because "small" but the reality is you will need to do more frequent cleaning in a tighter set up, and it's also hard to get tools (and your body) in and out of a tighter set up.

This is minimums of course. More space the better if you have the room for it.

Also for practicality, you have to consider how difficult it would be for you to access and maintain a very small coop or run. It probably sounds easier because "small" but the reality is you will need to do more frequent cleaning in a tighter set up, and it's also hard to get tools (and your body) in and out of a tighter set up.
Yes that’s all very true too. Personally I would go 4x6 or even 4x8 coop if possible but I understand it might not be. Better to build bigger too in case one decides to add more birds in the future. No one ever says they wishes they built smaller but they DO say they wish they built bigger.

I have the same one. Been using it for 3 years with no complaints. It's actually on right now with 8 babies.
One thing to note with the switch. Instructions say to only use the 'heater' setting with it vertical (200 w) for coop heater.
'Brooder' setting for well, brooder. 👍

Good luck with your coop build.
Hey. I set this up yesterday and neither setting really puts out much heat compared to the heat lamp. Is that normal for this device? I read reviews on TS and they were so so. Some made the same comments about it not being that warm. The responses from TS are that it has an internal thermostat that cuts off heat when temp gets over 75 degrees. I wonder if it gets colder does the plate get hotter to keep the temps up? Or did I just get a lemon. Should I go back to the red lamp and attach it with a chain to prevent it from falling and starting a fire?

I use a Brensa ambient heat. It's adjustable and will NOT burn the chicks if accidentally touched. I have used the brensa for 11 years now. It's low wattage and chicks love it. If you get a chance to check it out. Some other heating plates can and do burn chicks. This you won't have to worry about fire at all. Ps. I also keep my chicks in a Large dog crate. Mine is inside however and it's wrapped with two blankets for draft and cardboard is placed on 1/2of the front door because they were escaping out of the bars. Now they don't try. Best wishes
Do you have the EcoGlow 600? It says it’s for indoor use only.

Hey. I set this up yesterday and neither setting really puts out much heat compared to the heat lamp. Is that normal for this device?
For brooder plates in general: they do put out much less heat than a heat lamp. They usually work by letting the chicks snuggle against the plate to get warm, not by heating the area around them. In that respect, they work like a broody hen (the chicks snuggle under her to get warm, but she does not make the whole area warm.)

Chicks do not need their entire area warm. They just need one warm place, and the rest can be cool. They will go out in the cool areas to eat and drink and play, then go back to the warm area when they feel chilly or want to sleep. Chicks start doing this from the time they are very young, and yours are definitely old enough to regulate their own temperature that way as soon as they learn that the plate is the source of warmth.

I read reviews on TS and they were so so. Some made the same comments about it not being that warm. The responses from TS are that it has an internal thermostat that cuts off heat when temp gets over 75 degrees. I wonder if it gets colder does the plate get hotter to keep the temps up? Or did I just get a lemon. Should I go back to the red lamp and attach it with a chain to prevent it from falling and starting a fire?

I can't say whether your brooder plate is working properly or not, just that a properly working brooder plate will indeed put out much less heat than a heat lamp.

I can't say whether your brooder plate is working properly or not, just that a properly working brooder plate will indeed put out much less heat than a heat lamp.
x2. I use my hand to determine if a direct contact heat source is working. If it's warm-hot to the touch, but not so hot that you cannot safely hold your hand on it, it's good enough. My heating pad on high barely registers as warm to the touch on initial contact, but it obviously feels warmer the longer you hold your hand to it, and my chicks (younger than yours) have had to problem with it.

For brooder plates in general: they do put out much less heat than a heat lamp. They usually work by letting the chicks snuggle against the plate to get warm, not by heating the area around them. In that respect, they work like a broody hen (the chicks snuggle under her to get warm, but she does not make the whole area warm.)

Chicks do not need their entire area warm. They just need one warm place, and the rest can be cool. They will go out in the cool areas to eat and drink and play, then go back to the warm area when they feel chilly or want to sleep. Chicks start doing this from the time they are very young, and yours are definitely old enough to regulate their own temperature that way as soon as they learn that the plate is the source of warmth.

Aha. I didn’t know that’s how they worked. That makes sense now. If I put it back in I will use the legs and mount it on the ground instead of hung high. That’s for that info about plates. They looked cold so I put the heat lamp back in.

x2. I use my hand to determine if a direct contact heat source is working. If it's warm-hot to the touch, but not so hot that you cannot safely hold your hand on it, it's good enough. My heating pad on high barely registers as warm to the touch on initial contact, but it obviously feels warmer the longer you hold your hand to it, and my chicks (younger than yours) have had to problem with it.
Based on that it seems my plate works just fine

Aha. I didn’t know that’s how they worked. That makes sense now. If I put it back in I will use the legs and mount it on the ground instead of hung high. That’s for that info about plates. They looked cold so I put the heat lamp back in.
The chicks may not realize the plate is warm. Maybe try tucking them under it after dark (because they are less likely to go wandering off when they can't see.) Once they figure out it's warm and cozy, they will be more willing to stay there, and soon they should get the point to put themselves under it when they need warmth.

Back
Top Bottom