I need some winter tips please help

Kelso roosters

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 18, 2013
This is my first time having chickens and I am kinda worried.I built a chicken coop it is 6ft long and 4feet wide and I put a vent in the coop its 10in in a square and covered it with a vent I bought from Ace hardware. I have a heated water bowl and food at all times.it is going to be -14 tonight.I went out to the coop tonight and notice that there was frost on the walls inside the coop is that ok? And one of my chickens comb looked a little purple but only on one chicken because its comb is really big is there anything I should know I am worried for them.they only have one more night it the negatives thank the lord

In Canada I am subject to -40º cold snaps. I do NOT heat my coop. Murphy's law says my birds will find out what -40 is all about when my hydro goes out. Regardless what you decide feed extra Corn over the winter you will not be sorry.

Or something like this may help also; You could even knit a hoodie for those extra cold days..

Last edited:
thats pretty cold. they should be ok. if you are worried about the comb, and its possible, i would put some vaseline on it. it helps stop frost bit damage . i was told that the humidity in the coop was way worse then the cold and that may be why your seeing ice inside. they need the vents winter and summer

This is my first time having chickens and I am kinda worried.I built a chicken coop it is 6ft long and 4feet wide and I put a vent in the coop its 10in in a square and covered it with a vent I bought from Ace hardware. I have a heated water bowl and food at all times.it is going to be -14 tonight.I went out to the coop tonight and notice that there was frost on the walls inside the coop is that ok? And one of my chickens comb looked a little purple but only on one chicken because its comb is really big is there anything I should know I am worried for them.they only have one more night it the negatives thank the lord

How many chickens do you have and what are their breeds?

I have 1 pure kelso rooster,1buff orpington,1white leghorn,1white rock,1astralorp.you liking that cold weather up in taxas?I live in montana its so cold up here but I bet your not use to it up there

I have 1 pure kelso rooster,1buff orpington,1white leghorn,1white rock,1astralorp.you liking that cold weather up in taxas?I live in montana its so cold up here but I bet your not use to it up there

The Kelso is a type of American Gamefowl. I am not sure how they do in cold weather. The Leghorn just has that comb that can get frostbite. They should be alright. The heated water bowl probably even provides a little heat in the coop.

No, I am not liking this cold weather in North Texas. Everything has been covered with ice since Thursday night. We are about having Minnesota weather here. As long as I do not open the door and see snow covering the doorway like in that Little House on the Prairie episode I'll be okay. :)

Yeah kelso roosters only do good in the summer.he has his girls to keep him warm and its my whiteleghorn that's getting some frostbite but not bad I looked in the coop and it had frost in it and some on my chickens backs there doing good but I still feel bad for them.it said on the news that the south pole is warmer that Montana right now we haven't had this weather so cold since 1972 its so cold I don't wanna leave the house

Yeah kelso roosters only do good in the summer.he has his girls to keep him warm and its my whiteleghorn that's getting some frostbite but not bad I looked in the coop and it had frost in it and some on my chickens backs there doing good but I still feel bad for them.it said on the news that the south pole is warmer that Montana right now we haven't had this weather so cold since 1972 its so cold I don't wanna leave the house

If I lived in Minnesota I wouldn't leave the house either. :)

Well, it is almost summer at the South Pole. :)

What kind of rooster is that on your profile picture?

That is not my rooster. It is a picture I like.

The rooster is a Single Comb Light Brown Leghorn. I think the picture is distorted and makes the rooster look stretched out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom