I need your wisdom!

Sasquach :lau Now I know what I'm doing with the piece of scrap plywood I've got laying in the yard! That's great.

Shavings inside the coop structure looks fine to me. For the run, I'd get a layer of shavings, wood chips, leaves, grass clippings, etc down on the ground sooner than later, and keep topping off a few times per year - just dump a pile and let the chickens do the work spreading it out. Consider putting a lower border wall of fence boards (or similar) as a short baffle to keep bedding somewhat contained from spilling out the walls.

The gravel around the perimeter may end up being an issue once the chickens start spreading it out (like an issue when it comes to mowing your lawn and having rocks fly around or chipping your blade). I did the same thing initially and have since buried the gravel to keep it more contained vs digging it all up

Hello, friends. My wife and I are rank newbies to having chickens. We've had our girls for about four days now. Many of you have already seen photos of the coop we built and such. We have filled the upper nesting area with about a foot of shavings, but the ground is not covered, nor is the run. I read this blog post last night and I'm wondering if I should at least fill the coop area with deep bedding like we did in the nesting area. What this blog says makes sense from a cleanliness standpoint because these girls are pooping constantly and then just walking in it. I realize they are chickens, but it wouldn't hurt to do all we can to pamper them to some degree, would it?

Here is the link to the short blog article and I'd love your thoughts on it! Thanks.

Backyard Chickens
That sounds like I need to get more bedding for my chickens. They're 2 months old as of Memorial Day.

Your coop looks great! My smaller coop, which I use for new additions only, is set up similar to this. My run is 40' long and 8' wide; partially covered. I started with shavings in the entire area, but where it's covered is now just dirt. I kept putting new shavings down, and the hens would scratch it all back out. They sun bathe there and love it. It has never gotten muddy, even after days of pouring rain. So, you might be able to leave it dirt if you want. Mine have access to the outside from 7am to dusk everyday too, but when it comes to sun bathing, the coop is where they go. It's cool, but they get the warmth from the sun too. I attached a couple of older pictures for reference.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230601_153008_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230601_153008_Instagram.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20230601_153625_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230601_153625_Instagram.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 7
I think what they have there is 2x4. That is not good.
If that's 2"x4", I'm concerned also. Too many predators can just walk right through 2"x4" welded wire. I'm a fan of 1/2" 19 gage hot dip galvanized hardware cloth over everything, but I have ALL the predators (except for the larger ones like bear and bobcat and wolves). If I used 1"x2" welded wire without 1/2" hardware cloth over it in my area, my chickens would be eaten within the week.

I also am a big fan of aprons. I have a 3 ft wide 1/2" hardware cloth apron around my entire coop, and I've seen dig marks 3" from the outer edge of the apron. Glad I made it 3 ft wide. Wish I could have afforded to make it wider.

If that's 2"x4", I'm concerned also. Too many predators can just walk right through 2"x4" welded wire. I'm a fan of 1/2" 19 gage hot dip galvanized hardware cloth over everything, but I have ALL the predators (except for the larger ones like bear and bobcat and wolves). If I used 1"x2" welded wire without 1/2" hardware cloth over it in my area, my chickens would be eaten within the week.

I also am a big fan of aprons. I have a 3 ft wide 1/2" hardware cloth apron around my entire coop, and I've seen dig marks 3" from the outer edge of the apron. Glad I made it 3 ft wide. Wish I could have afforded to make it wider.
Yeah don't have mink or weasels here but I have heard that in many locations it is big problem. We do have possums here though and the smaller ones can get through. They don't bother the chickens much but they do make a mess in the food and smash eggs. learned that way back when I first started raising chickens when I was 10. I use 1x2 but we don't have any predators that can get through or reach in. Fox, cats, dogs and rattlesnakes are the main threat around here, well the two legged one is the worst. In any case even the snakes don't get in, well the ones that can do harm. Seen a few get thrashed around by my dear departed Michael.

Last edited:
Yeah don't have mink or weasels here but I have heard that in many locations it is big problem. We do have possums here though and the smaller ones can get through. They don't bother the chickens much but they do make a mess in the food and smash eggs. learned that way back when I first started raising chickens when I was 10. I use 1x2 but we don't have any predators that can get through or reach in. Fox, cats, dogs and rattlesnakes are the main threat around here, well the two legged one is the worst. In any case even the snakes don't get in, well the ones that can do harm. Seen a few get thrashed around by my dear departed Michael.
Two legged predators, huh? Wow. I know it happens a lot some places, but that sucks!

Anything smaller than 1/2" that gets through my hardware cloth, the chickens can peck it to death and eat it. Mainly insects, but I'm sure a few snakes and mice have tried their luck - we have a lot of those around here, but I've seen no evidence of them in the coop. And I know slugs and snails and worms are considered yummy. My son actually catches bugs and brings them into the coop to feed to his favorite hens - it's hilarious watching that.

Once I found an aspiring ant pile under the 5-gallon bucket laid out in the run that we were using as a nest box. I moved the nest box over, made the treat call, and everyone came running. They were a little confused at first when I pecked the ground, but once they figured it out, it was on. They spent hours in that spot devouring every tasty ant. I really do want to make a mobile tractor for a couple of them - they would clean out all my fire ants in no time I think.

They spent hours in that spot devouring every tasty ant.
You're not kidding. I had a fire ant problem here and was very concerned that they would be harmed. On my search for the best way to get rid of the ants, I came across someone saying that the chicken will not only be fine but will destroy and eat them up. So I put the movable run around it but giving the planty area to avoid them if things go south. It wasn't long before they found the mound and were digging at it eating up every ant they could. I was having very mixed feeling I tell ya. Panic and GETTUM! After the carnage was over I took each one in for a very thurow inspection. Thinking they would have bites under the feathers. NOTHING! Apparently the feathers are too dense for the ants to push through and the legs are too tough. After that, every time I'd see a fire ant pile it setup the moveable run.

My son actually catches bugs and brings them into the coop to feed to his favorite hens - it's hilarious watching that.

Um. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT! CAN'T YOU JUST LEAVE US , I MEAN HIM, TO HAVE FUN? LOL. I do the same thing. I tell you I will stop work to catch a bug or while digging get the earthworm or grub and like a little kid, run over the flock and be all giddy, giving it to my dear departed Michael and he will take it, throw it on the floor and start squawking for the ladies to come over. He presents it to them and they start a fight over it. So weird that he then would stand next to me, as if to be also enjoying the scene. Often getting a look of "Thanks man. That was very kind of you." At least it seemed that way. ExGF took video once as this scene played out numerous times and she would get a huge kick out of it.

Last edited:
Oh, as for the 2x4 wire, all of that has since been covered over with 1/4" hardware cloth. I took the picture just prior to putting on the 1/4" HC. So, anything that can get through BOTH layers of HC and welded wire are free to have a chicken because it'll take a big animal to get through both.

As for predators, we have fox, possums, skunks (not sure if they are a problem for chickens though), hawks (but they can't get into the coop or run anyway, and perhaps a few others, but the entire coop and run is covered in both 2x4 and then 1/4" over that.

The run is packed solid with grass right now, so I'm going to leave that. There is some grass inside the coop, but are dealing with that pretty quickly. Once it's gone, I'll be putting shavings in there. I mulch my grass, so I don't really have any clippings left to put in there either.

Look up Deep Litter and Deep Bedding on this site.
We are using deep bedding for sure! I'll be doing the same thing once the girls finish with all the grass in the coop. I'll leave the run alone for now because it's packed full of grass.

Thank you ALL so much for your input!! I like this forum more and more each day as I learn about tending to my girls! They are warming up to us already after just four days, and that's exciting. They are still a bit skittish, but I'm sure after they hear our voices enough, and see that we come with meal worms and treats now and then, they'll come running to see us. LOL We are excited for that day!

On a side note, I installed a swing for them in the run, and my wife set up a makeshift staircase for them to play on out of pieces of firewood. They love that for some reason. Go figure.

Last edited:
Oh, as for the 2x4 wire, all of that has since been covered over with 1/4" hardware cloth. I took the picture just prior to putting on the 1/4" HC. So, anything that can get through BOTH layers of HC and welded wire are free to have a chicken because it'll take a big animal to get through both.

As for predators, we have fox, possums, skunks (not sure if they are a problem for chickens though), hawks (but they can't get into the coop or run anyway, and perhaps a few others, but the entire coop and run is covered in both 2x4 and then 1/4" over that.

The run is packed solid with grass right now, so I'm going to leave that. There is some grass inside the coop, but are dealing with that pretty quickly. Once it's gone, I'll be putting shavings in there. I mulch my grass, so I don't really have any clippings left to put in there either.

We are using deep bedding for sure! I'll be doing the same thing once the girls finish with all the grass in the coop. I'll leave the run alone for now because it's packed full of grass.

Thank you ALL so much for your input!! I like this forum more and more each day as I learn about tending to my girls! They are warming up to us already after just four days, and that's exciting. They are still a bit skittish, but I'm sure after they hear our voices enough, and see that we come with meal worms and treats now and then, they'll come running to see us. LOL We are excited for that day!

On a side note, I installed a swing for them in the run, and my wife set up a makeshift staircase for them to play on out of pieces of firewood. They love that for some reason. Go figure.
Awesome! Sounds like you've got predators figured.

One caution - if you have any trouble with the 1/4" hardware cloth, consider using 1/2" hardware cloth. It's a lower gage wire (19 gage), so it's larger diameter and stronger than the 1/4" hardware cloth even though it has larger space between the wires.

Dead leaves in the fall and garden weeds are also fun for chickens. Wood chips from a tree service (https://getchipdrop.com/) and pine straw are also good for the run once the grass is gone. Have fun with your new peeps!

Back
Top Bottom