I spoke to my post office and....

tazcat70

I must be crazy!
13 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Kansas
My Coop
My Coop
I spoke to my main post office in a city with a metro population of 600,000. I had a few moments to ask them some questions about shipping packages. I asked them about the treatment of normal packages, versus fragile. They told me normal packages are tossed, and not much care is given to them. Fragile packages they handle more gently, try to put them on the shelves where chance of damage is lessoned. I then asked about hatching eggs. At that point they said they handle them with even more care, doing everything to make sure they are not damaged. They recommend that you mark the box on all sides in a bright color to attract attention.

great post! ive had all kindsa things torn up thru USPS, but every time my brother gets chicks or eggs theyre perfect

Ok, I'll bite.

I worked for the post office not to long ago and I don't believe it. Packages are sorted by machine. They do not "hand" cancel anything. Who ever told you this is lying. No if's and or buts. I have handled packages and never saw "eggs" being delivered. I have handled and picked up express packages at the airport and none was ever "handled with care".

Packages arrived at our PO and were "tossed" into separate hampers according to the route number of the address. Carriers then sort them and/or toss them into their trucks. No one has time to coddle packages, though some might. They have to account for the time they use in delivering and how many packages and letters are processed per hour. Some customers might find a bar code inside or on their mailbox. These are scan points used to determine the time the carrier arrived at that delivery point. There is usually one at the beginning and ending mail delivery stop.

Express, over night packages are put in sacks and scanned by the receiving station or scan point. Each carrier has to sign for each express and registered package or envelope from a clerk. The carrier then scans the package or envelope whether express or delivery confirmation at the point of delivery recording the date and time of delivery. If a piece has to be signed for they have a record of who signed, the date and time.

Rural carriers may have things differently but packages for rural areas are still handled at a Main processing facility and Lord only knows what can happen there. Currently the packages may be processed 30 or more miles away and they would be transported to rural PO's by truck. How long these routes take I don't know. Processing facilities are being closed and consolidated. One consolidation here results in a 72 mile trip on way.

In some cases you may mail a priority package to someone in your home town and it may be sent miles away to be processed and then sent back to your home town. This of course will take days. It may be faster to send some things first class which of course is less money.

The postal service is having to make cost cutting decisions and of course many are unpopular. Unfortunately it's the result of this economy we are in.

Live birds were however handled separately and I have no idea how that goes. I have seen chicks sit an entire day before delivery and while they could have called for the feed store to pick them up they have not. I myself have made a special point in delivering them.

Of course it also depends on where you live.

Such is life,

Rancher

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom