I Think I'm Losing my MIND (4 images)

angelnina

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 13, 2008
Seattle area
I bought a RIR (Lucy), a Golden Laced Wyandotte( Sean Jr), and two back sexlinks.

I was aware now that the Wyandotte is a rooster, but I'm starting to wonder about the RIR. She seems to fight him and she is the largest. They are all 8 weeks old. Now I'm starting to look at one of the black sexlinks and thinks SHE is a HE? Can anybody help me out? Thanks.

lucysean.jpg

Above you see "Lucy" my RIR with The Golden Wyandotte.

lucy.jpg

Above: Lucy close up

3.jpg

Above: All 4 of them

sexlinks.jpg

Above:Sexlinks alone

I see pointy hackles on your RIR, I think. And they are quite shiny, too, usually a roosterly trait.
The sexlinks, if that's what they are, are both hens. Black sexlink males appear similar to Barred Rocks. If one is not a sexlink, but another breed, then could be a rooster.

Last edited:
I don't think Lucy is a Roo. She looks like my three RIR......and i am pretty sure mine are hens.

I'm not sure about the sexlinks. My guess would be hens though.

Last edited:
I just culled a RIR roo at twelve weeks, by eight weeks he had a much bigger comb and wattles. He was turning nasty already so he had to go, he was picking on my blind girl Rose.... anyway, I vote girl on yours
big_smile.png

Quote:
...and the RIR is super aggressive. She just charges at us and the others too!
Are some hens like that.

Do you think the Black Sex Links might not be what the farm store said they were? I'm not sure exactly what they're supposed to look like.
Thanks for your comment.

Quote:
Our wyandotte "rooster" seems gentle so far. It's my RIR that seems to pick at him.

Thanks for your comment...I'm crossing my fingers
smile.png

I could go either way on the RIR. All my RIR pullets (12 and 14 week olds) have smaller combs with little or no red, but they do have shiny hackle feathers - just not pointed. Perhaps the shiny feathers are a trait of RIR's? Just a thought since I'm sure mine are all pullets.

I think the RIR is a pullet also. I have two RIRs about that age who look about the same as that and I am pretty certain they are pullets.

Back
Top Bottom