I want pigeons. Info please?

Oh and forgot to add that one time I accidentally left the coop door unlocked and it blew open so was probably open for a couple hours and luckily they all stayed inside. Lol, they are terrified of the scary "outofcage".
Lol! I hope mine are too, my dad insists on putting them in a separate coop 'cause he told me all the pigeons would fly away every time I open the door. Lol, but no need to do that now. Lets hope they are scared of the terrifying outofcage.

I'm cutting down to just rollers now, n it'd make sure no cross breeding happens, as pigeons have main mates not monogamus at all though.. tumbler breeds tend to not fly too far to high for too long.

I built my nest boxes roughly the size of a nylon mesh feed bag.
This makes cleaning a snap with no labourious scraping at cleaning time.
Poop dries up and flakes off easily after a day or two when I exchange on bag for another.

I also find when pigeons when nesting dog bowls roughly ten inches across purchased at the dollar store to be a helpful addition during breeding season one pair will have two batches of young growing simultaneously and this works best with two independent nest sights. I also keep a tarp over the loft floor which I employ 2 and exchanged them with thing get too messy.

Okay, thanks.

Hope you don't mind me asking a question too. If a pigeons mate dies can you have just one? Or is she going to pine away? She's not happy at the moment but it's also not a great time for getting another one.

Not yet. Their's a ban on shipping, selling, or trading any poultry where I live right now because their's a bird flu going around.

That's too bad, when you do though remember to post pictures please
big_smile.png

Hope you don't mind me asking a question too. If a pigeons mate dies can you have just one? Or is she going to pine away? She's not happy at the moment but it's also not a great time for getting another one.
In my experience unless they were hand raised pigeons need another pigeon for companionship. If you can't get another one then she might be OK on her own but will probably be slightly depressed.

Other dove types may work too, or catching feral or looking for homer/racing etc pigeon clubs. If you only want fancies after get them, homers and ferals are good fosters and or eating.

Back
Top Bottom