I want pigeons. Info please?

I am not planning to sell them, I do not pick animals out by looks. The animals here are more family then live stock.. Lol.
Quite rightly so.

I just worry what you will do when you have an over population of mutt pigeons and cant find a home for them?

Pigeons breed like crazy.. you have to have a plan what to do with the offspring in the future.

If you only allowed the pure breeds to breed you would have little difficulty finding homes for your surplus birds.

As a pigeon owner you need to have plans for breeding them. Pairing up the right birds is good for the birds, ensuring healthy happy offspring.

You can also stop them breeding by dividing the coop into male and female parts.

Ask any pigeon owner and they will tell you just how fast pigeons can breed and increase in number lol.

Quite rightly so.

I just worry what you will do when you have an over population of mutt pigeons and cant find a home for them?

Pigeons breed like crazy.. you have to have a plan what to do with the offspring in the future.

If you only allowed the pure breeds to breed you would have little difficulty finding homes for your surplus birds.

As a pigeon owner you need to have plans for breeding them. Pairing up the right birds is good for the birds, ensuring healthy happy offspring.

You can also stop them breeding by dividing the coop into male and female parts.

Ask any pigeon owner and they will tell you just how fast pigeons can breed and increase in number lol.
Lozuufy has mutts, and they seem like they have a good flock..

Mutts aren't bad, they could make good pet pigeons but you can't show them, I don't know about racing. And a lot of people don't buy mutts if you end up having to sell them. And sometimes you can butcher the mutts.

Forgot to mention I only let each pair hatch out one baby per year, the rest of the time I remove the eggs, otherwise I would have hundreds of pigeons lol

No, they most likely won't, most of mine don't try to get out but my hand raised ones will sometimes land on the door as I open it, if the door isn't too big they can't get out though. The rest of them stay away from it and do not want to ever come out of their safe cage.

Last edited:
Oh and forgot to add that one time I accidentally left the coop door unlocked and it blew open so was probably open for a couple hours and luckily they all stayed inside. Lol, they are terrified of the scary "outofcage".

Back
Top Bottom