TheAlrightyGina

Crowing
Sep 3, 2020
Memphis, TN
Happy Friday-almost-Saturday-and-actually-already-Saturday-for-some-folks!

breathing intensifies GIF

Yesterday I had an order of 25 adorable little Silkies to pick up at Cackle Hatchery, in Lebanon, MO. That doesn't sound all that adventure worthy I'm sure, except for the fact that I live in Memphis, TN. If you pull up the Google, you will see that there is a lot of distance between those two places. So it was gonna be an all day affair, and I'm one of those people that likes to do as much as possible if I'm gonna be somewhere I don't usually go.

So I arranged to meet up with fellow BYCer @ConnieA to grab some quality eggs to hatch for some breeds I'd been having trouble finding locally. She was gonna mail them to me but I thought, heck, I'm driving up there, might as well transport them myself and increase my hatch rate. We arranged to meet at the most delightful international grocer I've ever been to, a place called Global Foods Market, up in St. Louis. This added a couple of hours to my trip, but it was well worth it. Just look at their ramen selection!

IMG_20210325_114955.jpg

I met Connie and her plus one for my precious egg bounty, and they were both a delight. I could tell that they put a lot of effort into their birds, and I felt more than a little honored that they trusted me to hatch some of their chicks. I'm gonna do my best!

Connie also advised that I stop by a little place on the way to Cackle called "A Slice of Pie" and I'm not one to ignore restaurant tips by locals, so stop I did. Y'all, them pies. There were so many choices. Look at this menu (I only took a picture of the important section):

IMG_20210325_135247.jpg

Homer Simpson Reaction GIF

The coconut cream is probably the best thing I ever ate. I brought home a lot of pie (six slices and these were like...1/4 of a normal pie type slices) and it was so good that everybody at home wanted to take my slice! But I'm mean with a fork so they all just got a tiny sample! :smack

My gluttony for pie sated, it was time for me to get on with it and down the road to Cackle before they closed. I made it in plenty of time, despite the rain's best efforts to slow things down.

IMG_20210325_151138.jpg

IMG_20210325_151523.jpg

It's a cute little store, and there were a lot of people packed in there despite the weather. I gave them my name and within 5 minutes I had a box full of fluffy peeping cuteness. Oh, and for those of you wondering where your Cackle catalogs are, they were unpacking boxes full of them while I was there, so I have a feeling they're on their way!

My goal attained, I strapped in the chickies for a dreary but all together uneventful drive home
IMG_20210325_152351.jpg

Safety first in my car!

I left at 6 am for my journey, and made it back at 9pm. Time well spent to bring these precious fuzzballs home!
IMG_20210325_235521.jpg

So much fuzzzzzzzz

The end! There's gonna be lots of pictures of these guys posted in this thread --> https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/silkie-sexing-project-2-0.1452129/ Join in on the fun if you'd like to help or just want to look at cute chick photos.

PS. I think I may have discovered my favorite town in America: Uranus, MO. All because of the Uranus Fudge Factory and the slogan they put on their billboard, "The best fudge comes from Uranus!" I damn near drove off the road

Yesterday I had an order of 25 adorable little Silkies to pick up at Cackle Hatchery, in Lebanon, MO. That doesn't sound all that adventure worthy I'm sure, except for the fact that I live in Memphis, TN. If you pull up the Google, you will see that there is a lot of distance between those two places. So it was gonna be an all day affair, and I'm one of those people that likes to do as much as possible if I'm gonna be somewhere I don't usually go.

So I arranged to meet up with fellow BYCer @ConnieA to grab some quality eggs to hatch for some breeds I'd been having trouble finding locally. She was gonna mail them to me but I thought, heck, I'm driving up there, might as well transport them myself and increase my hatch rate. We arranged to meet at the most delightful international grocer I've ever been to, a place called Global Foods Market, up in St. Louis. This added a couple of hours to my trip, but it was well worth it. Just look at their ramen selection!

View attachment 2587446

I met Connie and her plus one for my precious egg bounty, and they were both a delight. I could tell that they put a lot of effort into their birds, and I felt more than a little honored that they trusted me to hatch some of their chicks. I'm gonna do my best!

Connie also advised that I stop by a little place on the way to Cackle called "A Slice of Pie" and I'm not one to ignore restaurant tips by locals, so stop I did. Y'all, them pies. There were so many choices. Look at this menu (I only took a picture of the important section):

View attachment 2587449

The coconut cream is probably the best thing I ever ate. I brought home a lot of pie (six slices and these were like...1/4 of a normal pie type slices) and it was so good that everybody at home wanted to take my slice! But I'm mean with a fork so they all just got a tiny sample! :smack

My gluttony for pie sated, it was time for me to get on with it and down the road to Cackle before they closed. I made it in plenty of time, despite the rain's best efforts to slow things down.

View attachment 2587453

View attachment 2587454

It's a cute little store, and there were a lot of people packed in there despite the weather. I gave them my name and within 5 minutes I had a box full of fluffy peeping cuteness. Oh, and for those of you wondering where your Cackle catalogs are, they were unpacking boxes full of them while I was there, so I have a feeling they're on their way!

My goal attained, I strapped in the chickies for a dreary but all together uneventful drive home
View attachment 2587461
Safety first in my car!

I left at 6 am for my journey, and made it back at 9pm. Time well spent to bring these precious fuzzballs home!
View attachment 2587467
So much fuzzzzzzzz

The end! There's gonna be lots of pictures of these guys posted in this thread --> https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/silkie-sexing-project-2-0.1452129/ Join in on the fun if you'd like to help or just want to look at cute chick photos.

PS. I think I may have discovered my favorite town in America: Uranus, MO. All because of the Uranus Fudge Factory and the slogan they put on their billboard, "The best fudge comes from Uranus!" I damn near drove off the road

Sounds like a great day!

View attachment 2587446

View attachment 2587449

View attachment 2587453

View attachment 2587454

View attachment 2587461
Safety first in my car!

View attachment 2587467
So much fuzzzzzzzz

Sounds like a great adventure. I love those kind of days. The added bonus that you didn't have to worry about the babies in transport.
:jumpy:yesss:

Back
Top Bottom