Silkie Sexing Project 2.0

Pics

TheAlrightyGina

Crowing
Sep 3, 2020
Memphis, TN
Hey BYCers (and random people from the internet who wandered in)!

Last year, I did a project to try to determine the sex of Silkies with greater than 50-50 success before 9 weeks of age using growth rate. The results were mixed, I believe in part because I didn't exclude chicks that arrived sick or with deformities (not gonna go with that hatchery again...ever). This year I'm going to try again, with a larger sample size (last was 16, this will be 25) and the collection of additional data that might lead to a reliable method. I'm going to outline everything here for those that would like to follow along. This project is based on the fact that chickens are sexually dimorphic, with the males at some point outgrowing the females. The hope is that I can determine at what age roughly 100% of the males will have outpaced the females in rate of growth and/or weight.

So here's my timeline and what I'll be doing:

3/25 - Chicks will be acquired, Initial (day old) weigh in
4/01 - Week 1 weigh in
4/08 - Week 2 weigh in
4/15 - Week 3 weigh in
4/22 - Week 4 weigh in
4/29 - Week 5 weigh in
5/06 - Week 6 weigh in
5/13 - Week 7 weigh in
5/20 - Week 8 weigh in
5/27 - Week 9 weigh in (last)
6/03 - Project wrap up, results revealed.

At each weigh in, I will take pictures of each bird and post them in this thread. Each time I do this, I would really really appreciate it if y'all would respond with what you think each bird's sex is. That way, y'all will basically be acting as a control for the project, attempting to sex Silkies the way that we do now (visually). I won't be revealing the data until the end so that it won't influence y'all in any way. If I write this up as an article anywhere, I'll be sure to credit anyone who participates by guessing the sex as a contributor to the project.

In addition to weighing each bird, I will also be measuring the circumference of the leg, the length of the middle toe, the width of the comb, and their natural posture in profile, documented both with pictures and measures being stored in an excel file. I'm doing this as a back up, in case growth rate fails to beat guessing as a method for determining the sex, in the hope that we can find something that does.

I'm still debating on whether I will wait until crow/lay to confirm the sex or if I'll pay for DNA testing. Perhaps if I can find a group discount, lol, I'll go for the latter. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated.

If anyone else wants to do this project, at the same time or after, that would be awesome, as replication is the key to good science. ❤️

Hey BYCers (and random people from the internet who wandered in)!

Last year, I did a project to try to determine the sex of Silkies with greater than 50-50 success before 9 weeks of age using growth rate. The results were mixed, I believe in part because I didn't exclude chicks that arrived sick or with deformities (not gonna go with that hatchery again...ever). This year I'm going to try again, with a larger sample size (last was 16, this will be 25) and the collection of additional data that might lead to a reliable method. I'm going to outline everything here for those that would like to follow along. This project is based on the fact that chickens are sexually dimorphic, with the males at some point outgrowing the females. The hope is that I can determine at what age roughly 100% of the males will have outpaced the females in rate of growth and/or weight.

So here's my timeline and what I'll be doing:

3/25 - Chicks will be acquired, Initial (day old) weigh in
4/01 - Week 1 weigh in
4/08 - Week 2 weigh in
4/15 - Week 3 weigh in
4/22 - Week 4 weigh in
4/29 - Week 5 weigh in
5/06 - Week 6 weigh in
5/13 - Week 7 weigh in
5/20 - Week 8 weigh in
5/27 - Week 9 weigh in (last)
6/03 - Project wrap up, results revealed.

At each weigh in, I will take pictures of each bird and post them in this thread. Each time I do this, I would really really appreciate it if y'all would respond with what you think each bird's sex is. That way, y'all will basically be acting as a control for the project, attempting to sex Silkies the way that we do now (visually). I won't be revealing the data until the end so that it won't influence y'all in any way. If I write this up as an article anywhere, I'll be sure to credit anyone who participates by guessing the sex as a contributor to the project.

In addition to weighing each bird, I will also be measuring the circumference of the leg, the length of the middle toe, the width of the comb, and their natural posture in profile, documented both with pictures and measures being stored in an excel file. I'm doing this as a back up, in case growth rate fails to beat guessing as a method for determining the sex, in the hope that we can find something that does.

I'm still debating on whether I will wait until crow/lay to confirm the sex or if I'll pay for DNA testing. Perhaps if I can find a group discount, lol, I'll go for the latter. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated.

If anyone else wants to do this project, at the same time or after, that would be awesome, as replication is the key to good science. ❤️
I have a 75% and 25% silkie chick, month olds. Would you mind if I chipped in with pics as I'm eager to learn?

Not at all, not at all. The more the merrier!
Black is just 25%, the white is 75%:
P1050164.JPG

Since it's so early and this is just shot in the dark territory, I'm gonna guess the left is male and right is female. Super cute whatever they turn out to be.
I'm thinking I have a pair too. That was take on Wednesday, no further development in the white chick but the black one's wattles have grown a little more. I'll keep you posted!

This sounds like a really neat project!

I'll definitely try to keep up with the thread and give gender guesses at the weekly weigh ins based on physical appearance. :)

I've heard good things about a laboratory in Spain that does DNA testing. It's less expensive than most testing I've seen and does have multiple test packages that are discounted. If you got the 25 test package I think the tests would come out to just over $4 per test. Still a bit pricey but I thought I'd throw it out there in case you decide to go the DNA sexing route. Though I've never ordered from them those who have mentioned good turn around times despite the long distance.

The website is www.sexadodeaves.com if you want to check it out.

Black is just 25%, the white is 75%:
View attachment 2577716
Aww such cuties! I know my guess isn't likely to be accurate with how young they are but I'm guessing maybe two pullets at this point? 🤔

This sounds like a really neat project!

I'll definitely try to keep up with the thread and give gender guesses at the weekly weigh ins based on physical appearance. :)

I've heard good things about a laboratory in Spain that does DNA testing. It's less expensive than most testing I've seen and does have multiple test packages that are discounted. If you got the 25 test package I think the tests would come out to just over $4 per test. Still a bit pricey but I thought I'd throw it out there in case you decide to go the DNA sexing route. Though I've never ordered from them those who have mentioned good turn around times despite the long distance.

The website is www.sexadodeaves.com if you want to check it out.

Aww such cuties! I know my guess isn't likely to be accurate with how young they are but I'm guessing maybe two pullets at this point? 🤔

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Back
Top Bottom