Silkie Sexing Project 2.0

Pics

TheAlrightyGina

Crowing
Sep 3, 2020
Memphis, TN
Hey BYCers (and random people from the internet who wandered in)!

Last year, I did a project to try to determine the sex of Silkies with greater than 50-50 success before 9 weeks of age using growth rate. The results were mixed, I believe in part because I didn't exclude chicks that arrived sick or with deformities (not gonna go with that hatchery again...ever). This year I'm going to try again, with a larger sample size (last was 16, this will be 25) and the collection of additional data that might lead to a reliable method. I'm going to outline everything here for those that would like to follow along. This project is based on the fact that chickens are sexually dimorphic, with the males at some point outgrowing the females. The hope is that I can determine at what age roughly 100% of the males will have outpaced the females in rate of growth and/or weight.

So here's my timeline and what I'll be doing:

3/25 - Chicks will be acquired, Initial (day old) weigh in
4/01 - Week 1 weigh in
4/08 - Week 2 weigh in
4/15 - Week 3 weigh in
4/22 - Week 4 weigh in
4/29 - Week 5 weigh in
5/06 - Week 6 weigh in
5/13 - Week 7 weigh in
5/20 - Week 8 weigh in
5/27 - Week 9 weigh in (last)
6/03 - Project wrap up, results revealed.

At each weigh in, I will take pictures of each bird and post them in this thread. Each time I do this, I would really really appreciate it if y'all would respond with what you think each bird's sex is. That way, y'all will basically be acting as a control for the project, attempting to sex Silkies the way that we do now (visually). I won't be revealing the data until the end so that it won't influence y'all in any way. If I write this up as an article anywhere, I'll be sure to credit anyone who participates by guessing the sex as a contributor to the project.

In addition to weighing each bird, I will also be measuring the circumference of the leg, the length of the middle toe, the width of the comb, and their natural posture in profile, documented both with pictures and measures being stored in an excel file. I'm doing this as a back up, in case growth rate fails to beat guessing as a method for determining the sex, in the hope that we can find something that does.

I'm still debating on whether I will wait until crow/lay to confirm the sex or if I'll pay for DNA testing. Perhaps if I can find a group discount, lol, I'll go for the latter. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated.

If anyone else wants to do this project, at the same time or after, that would be awesome, as replication is the key to good science. ❤️

And here are the internet trophies and ribbons, as promised (feel free to download and do whatever with them)!

In the category highest accuracy achieved we have a tie for 3rd between @Krugerrand for their final round guesses and @HappyClucker7 for their 9th round guesses!!
3rdaccuracy.png
3rdaccuracy1.png

In 2nd place we a three way tie between @RoostersAreAwesome, for their round 8/9 scores, @EmmaRainboe for their final round score, and @Chickeria for their 9th round score.
2ndaccuracy.png
2ndaccuracy1.png
2ndaccuracy2.png

First Place goes to @LynnaePB, for their round 9 and 10 scores!
topaccuracy.png

For Best Overall Accuracy we have @Krugerrand with 61% average accuracy for all rounds.
3rdaccuracy2.png

2nd place goes to @charlotte-and-the-bees with a 67% average for all rounds.
2ndoverallaccuracy.png

1st place in overall accuracy goes to @LynnaePB, with an average accuracy of 77% for all 10 rounds!
topaverageaccuracy.png

I wanted to do at least one trophy, so here's to @LynnaePB for just rocking this guessing thing (you're gonna be my go-to Silkie sexpert from now on, lol)

BiS.png

Yes, yes, I know I'm a huge dork. ❤️ you guys!
Edited to switch 2nd and 3rd place accuracy winners. Sorry guys...I goofed.

Attachments

• 3rdaccuracy2.png
    3rdaccuracy2.png
    499.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I really appreciate each and every one of you for helping me with this project. It's gonna take me a while to get all the data organized in a valuable format, but your contribution was invaluable. I will be sure to link that when I get it done (probably gonna do an article).

@GingerAndHerChicks, your score for the final round was 58%, guessing 14 of 24 correctly. @MixedFlock23, you got 16 out of 24 right, for 67% accuracy.

Here was the break down for everyone else:

Guessor
1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
6​
7​
8​
9​
10​
Average
charlotte-and-the-bees
63%​
54%​
58%​
58%​
75%​
63%​
63%​
79%​
83%
75%​
67%​
Chickeria--
46%​
54%
42%​
50%​
50%​
54%​
67%​
75%​
55%​
EmmaRainboe
50%​
50%​
50%​
-
75%​
54%​
---
88%​
61%​
HappyClucker7----
71%​
67%​
75%​
71%​
83%​
-
73%​
JustAChickenLoverOverHere--
58%​
-
42%​
-----
50%​
Krugerrand
58%​
50%​
63%​
50%​
50%​
67%​
54%​
63%​
75%​
83%​
61%​
LynnaePB
71%​
71%​
58%​
71%​
79%​
79%​
75%​
83%​
92%​
92%​
77%​
RoostersAreAwesome--
46%​
-
54%​
71%​
75%​
88%​
88%​
71%​
70%​

ETA: I did an average that included all of the rounds for the ribbons/trophies, as the earlier rounds are harder since there is less to see. That brought the averages down to 46% for @Chickeria , 37% for @EmmaRainboe , 37% for @HappyClucker7, 10% for @JustAChickenLoverOverHere, and 49% for @RoostersAreAwesome . The average in the table are for the rounds that you submitted guesses for.

Edited again to update charlotte-and-the-bee's score.
Edited again to correct Chickeria's score.

Last edited:
Suspense Anticipation GIF

...and the results are in! all except RBf anyway, apparently I didn't get enough blood from them Click the spoiler haze to reveal the result!

RED GROUP
RBf
No result (need to resample )​
RWt
Female
RBk
Female
RBu
Male
RSp
Male
PINK GROUP
PBf
Male
PWt
Female
PBk
Female
PBu
Male
PSp
Male

ORANGE GROUP
OBf
Male
OWt
Male
OBk
Male
OBu
Male
OSp
Female

GREEN GROUP
GBf
Female
GWt
Female
GBk
Female
GBu
Female
GSp
Female

BLUE GROUP
BBf
Female
BWt
Female
BBk
Male
BBu
Female
BSp
Female
Wow I really screwed up on the green group 😂😂😂😂 I guessed all males and ended up being all females 😅

Both to be a bit of a tease and so that you guys know I ain't slacking, it appears that either growth rate or weight can be used to determine the sex of some birds by week 5-6 of age. In my sample group, 100% of the birds that were 1 standard deviation above the average for either growth rate or weight (in my case, they were both) at week 5 and on were male, and 100% of the birds that were 1 standard deviation below the average at week 6 and on were female. For my group that would be a growth rate of 1.54-1.69 oz/wk (week 5/6) for the upper limit and 1.05-1.13 oz/wk for the lower limit; 8.60-11.02 oz for that same time period in weight for the upper limit, and 6.15-7.72 oz for the lower limit.

I've got no idea if those numbers fit for Silkies in general, but the ones I have this time around do appear to be typical of the breed. If anyone knows of a source that has that kinda info I'd be happy to nab it an roll it in to my project...but also take this info with a grain of salt; as with any thing like this there are gonna be confounding factors and you won't know what mine were until you read my write up to be able to take that into account. But man I'd be tickled pink if any of y'all with Silkie babies would be able to see if this applies to yours as well!

200.gif

Alright! Here we go with this week's edition of chick mugshots! I was tryna be helpful but most of them ended up looking cranky from my choice of angles others looked surprisingly fabulous

chicks3.png

They were more (or less as in BBu's case) cooperative this time, but they still don't enjoy being handled. I forgot to take RBk's headshot...I got the data for them but somehow missed that so I'll get it tomorrow. Everyone's still healthy and happy and growing well!

Edited to update picture

Last edited:
I'm going with male for this little one too. :)
😍 What a cutie! I think male, too.
Isn't anybody going to give me some love for a pullet?

I think I keep being guilty of seeing what I want to be there ... a V-comb and a somewhat horizontal body. I keep telling her to think girly thoughts. Maybe I should paint the brooder box pink? :D

She's starting to feather out in the head ... I'll watch for those steamers. (and cut them off if they show up! :plbb )

Suspense Anticipation GIF

...and the results are in! all except RBf anyway, apparently I didn't get enough blood from them Click the spoiler haze to reveal the result!

RED GROUP
RBf
No result (need to resample )​
RWt
Female
RBk
Male
RBu
Female
RSp
Male
PINK GROUP