I woke up to five headless chickens

Galline

Hatching
Apr 13, 2015
This morning I found five of our chickens dead with their heads missing. They were all in a pile in the corner of their little yard and there were lots of feathers everywhere. Their area is dog proof but a more nimble animal, like a cat, could easily get in. I also sensed a lingering skunk smell, so it was either a skunk or something that was sprayed by a skunk. Does anyone know what this might be? If it helps, we live in southern Italy, near Naples. Our landlord said that there could be foxes nearby, but I do not know of any other possible predators. Thanks! I this forum/website is very nice and I hope I can make some useful contributions.

Luke

Welcome to BYC - I am so sorry about your losses. I am not terribly familiar with what animals might be present in your location, but my first thought would be anything in the weasel family.

Foxes also have a skunky smell. We have a wildlife preserve that takes in animals that can't be returned to the wild, & the fox enclosure is very smelly! If your landlord has seen foxes, they could be the culprits.

I am also not familiar with animals in your area but fox dont usually eat heads they would take off with the whole bird. Head eating is very weasel like behavior but also skunks are known to do that as well.

Definitely a weasle of some sort. Not sure if Italy has them, but if that happened here I would know automatically it was a weasle of some sort. They like to kill things for fun like that all the time. And they stink bad! Happened to find any droppings anywhere?

Do you have owls in your area? Great Horned owls will take off the heads, then come back for the rest of the bird later. Or as in Texas, here in South Carolina a Coon with do the same thing. I learned the hard way as to why you lock your birds up at night. I lost 15 birds in one night years ago, bc I did not lock them up. So make sure you are locking their coop.

Back
Top Bottom