Fox Killed Most of My Chickens

Since there are only five hens left I'm thinking of abandoning the coop and run and buying one of these chicken coops with the run area, nest boxes, etc., all enclosed. Anyone recommend a good brand? They are quite expensive.
Facebook marketplace is a good place to look for coops already made. Prefab coops sold in stores aren't big enough to hold but a few hens. I'm sorry for your loss!

Maybe you can post a few pics and some descriptions/drawings of you’re setup here or in a new thread with a better title? The problem is the run isn’t it? If so, you don’t need to buy/make a new coop.

Do ask for easy to fix improvements to keep foxes out.

Maybe you can post a few pics and some descriptions/drawings of you’re setup here or in a new thread with a better title? The problem is the run isn’t it? If so, you don’t need to buy/make a new coop.

Do ask for easy to fix improvements to keep foxes out.
That's the issue here. I don't know how to fix the fence around the coop so the foxes don't get in.

Last edited:
Well, the hens are still locked inside the coop for now. I actually saw the fox earlier today. I am afraid to let the hens out into the pen until this problem is solved. Would chickens get along with ducks and geese? The geese are great alarms and they keep the ducks in line. Their fence isn't as sturdy as the current chicken pen but perhaps the geese would keep predators out? My husband passed away last Sunday after two months of being bedridden so I'm on my own out here in the sticks trying to solve problems that normally he would have taken care of. :confused:

Your coop looks fine you need a better pen with mesh wire not chicken wire
The pen is fenced with farm fencing not chicken wire. I think the squares are too big to keep out critters tho. Below is a pix of the type of fencing.
100_0139.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom