Fox Killed Most of My Chickens

Well, the hens are still locked inside the coop for now. I actually saw the fox earlier today. I am afraid to let the hens out into the pen until this problem is solved. Would chickens get along with ducks and geese? The geese are great alarms and they keep the ducks in line. Their fence isn't as sturdy as the current chicken pen but perhaps the geese would keep predators out? My husband passed away last Sunday after two months of being bedridden so I'm on my own out here in the sticks trying to solve problems that normally he would have taken care of. :confused:
Sorry for you’re loss. :hugsAnd having to deal with stupid foxes.
Can’t you ask a friend or family to help to make a secure run? Because I don’t think the geese will keep the fox away.

My grown children have zero interest in anything pertaining to chickens except eating them so every coop and run I have I made myself (from salvage and recycled materials) If I can do it anyone can! Don't sell yourself short !My advise is add a couple strands of electric fence around your farm fence to keep that fox out! You may have to make it smaller so you can attach netting on top. If you have too many chickens to pen up downsizing your flock might help .I don't keep a lot of chickens because its a lot of work keeping everything clean.My condolences on the loss of your husband!

Sorry for you’re loss. :hugsAnd having to deal with stupid foxes.
Can’t you ask a friend or family to help to make a secure run? Because I don’t think the geese will keep the fox away.
I'm still asking everyone I know.

My grown children have zero interest in anything pertaining to chickens except eating them so every coop and run I have I made myself (from salvage and recycled materials) If I can do it anyone can! Don't sell yourself short !My advise is add a couple strands of electric fence around your farm fence to keep that fox out! You may have to make it smaller so you can attach netting on top. If you have too many chickens to pen up downsizing your flock might help .I don't keep a lot of chickens because its a lot of work keeping everything clean.My condolences on the loss of your husband!
Thank you for your condolences. I was thinking of putting chicken wire over the farm fencing. I don't know what would be better on top, barbed wire or electric wire. All of it sounds like lots of work. The fox downsized my flock from 14 to 5. Had two beautiful roosters too. :(

Thank you for your condolences. I was thinking of putting chicken wire over the farm fencing. I don't know what would be better on top, barbed wire or electric wire. All of it sounds like lots of work. The fox downsized my flock from 14 to 5. Had two beautiful roosters too. :(
You could always make your own chicken tractor. That would be easier. And you could always work on the old run (at a leisurely pace) if you decide to get more chickens later.

Sorry I didn’t explicitly say condolances with you’re husband too. I didn't realise that sorry for you’re loss is not meant for a heartbreaking event such as loosing a husband. (English/ US is not my native language or culture).

I have no experience with barbed wire or electric wire with chickens. But I read a lot of positive reactions about electric wire. Best make a new thread for advice on how to make you’re setup safe.
Imo a chicken tractor is always cramped if you don’t have a real tractor 🚜 to move a big coop/run combination. And is a building project too.
In the meantime you can search for articles or threads on this subject too.

As @ChickensComeHome2Roost says. Its not difficult to improve or build setups for chickens. I did this too. But to ve honest, I had a little help from my husband now and then. But if you have children, you can ask them with the most difficult parts too. Maybe they even like to help. Because building something is notting like cleaning a dirty coop.

Ok, I have two sheds that are inside the duck/goose pen that we have used in the past to raise ducks and chicks. I decided to clean out the innermost shed and set up a temp coop for the hens. If it ends up being a bad idea, so be it. I just have to do something. It's a good shed with a door, windows and a place for electricity (which isn't a problem this time of year). Should be interesting! I'll put renovation of the big coop and fencing on the back burner for now.

Ok, I have two sheds that are inside the duck/goose pen that we have used in the past to raise ducks and chicks. I decided to clean out the innermost shed and set up a temp coop for the hens. If it ends up being a bad idea, so be it. I just have to do something. It's a good shed with a door, windows and a place for electricity (which isn't a problem this time of year). Should be interesting! I'll put renovation of the big coop and fencing on the back burner for now.
Sounds like a plan! I've seen people take chain link dog kennels and make coops and runs out of them.I suggest getting a dog thats good with chickens if you live in a remote area so you won't be alone. It'll keep you company and alert you to predators.Wishing you the best!

We are trying the omlet eglu cube with the 13 ft run. We have lots of predators nearby and the reviews seemed good. But we haven’t tested it out yet. Very expensive but if it works it will be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom