Icelandic Chickens

Hey, we have a too and two Icelandic hens. Never knew they were rare but we got them from a man in Lexington getting out. We were thinking of selling them because they are much smaller than our others and we didn't want them to get beat up. We have just started this chicken adventure and were just going to put them on Craigslist. Is there a better way or a way to get them to someone who wants to breed? We just want eggs.

Lukka!
th.gif
Click to enlarge!

Mary,

I hope all these roosters will go to other Icelandic breeders who need other unrelated Icelandic stock to keep the lines strong instead of to Farmer Fred. They are beautiful birds! Are the ones hiding their heads pullets by any chance?

Last edited:
Hey, we have a too and two Icelandic hens. Never knew they were rare but we got them from a man in Lexington getting out. We were thinking of selling them because they are much smaller than our others and we didn't want them to get beat up. We have just started this chicken adventure and were just going to put them on Craigslist. Is there a better way or a way to get them to someone who wants to breed? We just want eggs.
They are still good layers and don't worry about them getting beat up, they are very quick and hardy! I have many breeds in my flock and I NEVER worry about the Icelandics :)

Kimmie,

I like the colors of the darker one the best but if the other Roo is nicer, I'd pick him.
Ditto - personality over looks. They don't breed true by color, so either way, you'll still get a mix of colors.
Quote: One thing to add................they are escape artists.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice on which one to keep I wish I could keep both. I have to figure out where the other roo is going I want him to go to another breeder. Any advice on that?

Kimmie
You could try posting here on BYC, your local Poultry association or Craigslist, but personally I will butcher my extra ones. I don't want to risk someone cross breeding them.

Back
Top Bottom