Icelandic Chickens

Here's an update on my Icelandics.

I don't know Icelandic names, but my dad was Finnish, so I decided to name my guys for relatives. At least they are Scandinavian and I'll have no trouble remembering, lol. They are all cousins!

Arne (my number one cockerel)

This is Heimo, he is my number two cockerel and I think looks like his dad. I had trouble getting a decent shot of him, he is a bit timid, he KNOWS he is not in charge.

This is one of my pullets, I can't wait for my first Icelandic egg, I should be SO close (ignore the little frizzled serama roo in the background, he needed a temporary place to live and the Icelandics accepted him without picking on him. He was getting the heck beat out of him by his son).

This was going to be my secondary boy, but he will be going. He also is timid and I could NOT get a picture of him in the run.

THIS is why he is being culled. His rose comb has started to lop to one side. Even though we don't have a working standard, it's a general DQ for all breeds.

Deb

Here's an update on my Icelandics.

I don't know Icelandic names, but my dad was Finnish, so I decided to name my guys for relatives. At least they are Scandinavian and I'll have no trouble remembering, lol. They are all cousins!

Arne (my number one cockerel)

This is Heimo, he is my number two cockerel and I think looks like his dad. I had trouble getting a decent shot of him, he is a bit timid, he KNOWS he is not in charge.

This is one of my pullets, I can't wait for my first Icelandic egg, I should be SO close (ignore the little frizzled serama roo in the background, he needed a temporary place to live and the Icelandics accepted him without picking on him. He was getting the heck beat out of him by his son).

This was going to be my secondary boy, but he will be going. He also is timid and I could NOT get a picture of him in the run.

THIS is why he is being culled. His rose comb has started to lop to one side. Even though we don't have a working standard, it's a general DQ for all breeds.

Deb
too bad on that comb. Handsome guy. But does look huge. Probably hard to see around

Thanks Kelly, I've liked Arne the best from the time he was little. He's also my DH's favorite. And yes Jason, he's got the feathered legs, the only one of mine that does. They were pretty heavily feathered when he was young, but they've matured to a nice amount I think (clean feet).

Deb

Thanks Kelly, I've liked Arne the best from the time he was little. He's also my DH's favorite. And yes Jason, he's got the feathered legs, the only one of mine that does. They were pretty heavily feathered when he was young, but they've matured to a nice amount I think (clean feet).

Deb
I want eggs from him down the road for sure... Put me on your list please
thumbsup.gif

Hey, we have a too and two Icelandic hens. Never knew they were rare but we got them from a man in Lexington getting out. We were thinking of selling them because they are much smaller than our others and we didn't want them to get beat up. We have just started this chicken adventure and were just going to put them on Craigslist. Is there a better way or a way to get them to someone who wants to breed? We just want eggs.

Where are you located? I could give your birds a home, we have 2 icelandic pullets right now.

Back
Top Bottom