Icelandic Chickens

Thanks for all the kind comments! I am glad to know it just wasn't me thinking they were special. I will for sure add updates and new pics. They are so smart. They already got up on the roost for the night in the breeder pen. The Light Sussex never did figure that out and slept in a heap on the floor! I thought it was a design flaw!
hu.gif

Thanks again and I will make a note of those who expressed an interest in eggs. I imagine it will be a while before I get there but with luck we will get there. Heck, my girls are already laying. Sigrid and I both think they will probably stop laying due to the stress of shipping and a new home. Maybe I'll get at least one egg to put in the bator. Henna went broody at ten months but they didn't want chicks because they are traveling back to Iceland soon. She said it only took a couple of days in a wire crate to break her. Oh, I probably forgot to mention they are good setters. They are a landrace fowl (Landrace refers to domesticated animals adapted to the natural and cultural environment in which they live, or originated. They often develop naturally with minimal assistance or guidance from humans using traditional breeding methods). Thanks Wikipedia. Anyway, the whole landrace thing is very interesting in that they aren't really a breed, but are genetically different from all others. Sigrid said they collected the last eggs from a small island that has been uninhabited for sixty years and the Icelandic chickens flourish there. Now THAT's a broody! I hope my silkies are paying attention.
lau.gif
Henna kept getting in the nest box today and burying the wooden eggs in the shavings. That may be a good sign.

Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Mary, that is so great!! Those boys are going to be gorgeous! They are already so pretty at such a young age. I never heard of those. Good for you!!

How exciting. Iceland is such a beautiful country and my friend from Iceland is one of the most magical people that I know. I am so happy to hear that you received the chickens in great condition and that they are so healthy and happy! I bet all that work to gain the trust of the nice folks from Iceland made it that much sweeter once you got them. If you would be so kind as to put my name onto the list of potential egg buyers in the future. I am not in a rush, and something as special as a chicken from Iceland is worth the wait.

Spore in OR

I've been to Iceland twice. The people are wonderful and the food out of this world. It is also one of the most beautiful countries I have ever visited. And the only one where I was brave enough, or crazy enough, to rent a car. Had to drive from Reykjavik to the northern part of the country to look at some horses. Three hour drive took eight hours since we ended up driving through a raging blizzard. To make things more interesting the car was a very subcompact Nissan with a stick shift. We made it though. And it makes for a great memory.

16470_p1010015.jpg

During the storm when we could still sort of see the road.

16470_p1010025.jpg

After the storm

The thing that makes Icelandic animals special,is the fact that the Icelandic people don't allow imports. It's keeps their genetics pure & keeps out disease. (I know some one that raises Icelandic horses). My concern with the chickens would be, that they would be susceptible to every chicken disease there is(due to never being exposed). I wish you the best of luck in your venture & hope to hear updates.

Quote:
It is my understanding that they are actually very hardy and disease resistant. Many of the Icelandics in the US now trace back genetically to the 11 eggs hatched out by Lyle Behl in 2003. He has had hatching eggs available since 2005 so I would think that by now they would have been exposed to the common chicken diseases. I have heard how hardy they are but never that they get sick a lot. I'll do my quarantine and hope for the best.

Sigrid told me about the law banning any animal imports into Iceland. She said the Icelandic horse are magnificent and if they are shown outside of Iceland they can never return to Iceland.

Mary

Back
Top Bottom