Icelandic Chickens

Iceland is my dream destination - and your birds are fantastic, I wish you luck with them! Someday I'd like to get some hatching eggs - but not yet, I haven't even used my new incubator once. When I'm more experienced
smile.png

Quote:
Grab her! Start your own obsession!
wee.gif

I need a coop
barnie.gif
But once I have one I'll try, she too has a lot of children running around the whole place that look like her
tongue2.gif

I had read about these chickens in an article in Back Yard Poultry but never entertained the idea of getting any as the article said they were not people friendly. Also that they were not great layers. That doesn't mean they aren't I suppose, or I remember wrong. I did remember that they are very nice looking birds.
You don't mention what it took to acquire them. What if anything did you pay? Are these the only breeder/preservationists in the U.S. ? I have no doubt you have peaked alot of our interest and it won't be long before they are not endangered anymore. I also have no doubt your new friends will have no problem transplanting them around the country.

Oh and yes they are very nice. Keep us all posted as there will be many wanted to get some.

Last edited:
I imagine the ones free ranging in Iceland probably don't come up to humans for a cuddle but these birds are no more skittish in the two days they have been here than any other I have had. My Icelandic cross is definitely a free spirit and she would just as soon I go away and leave her alone which is fine by me. I didn't want them for cuddling. That is why I keep my blind hen Lucy. I can pick her up anytime I want! As far as great layers, no they aren't. That is the reason for their near extinction. The egg producers imported commercial layers and nearly caused the demise of the breed. As far as my statement about them being good layers I was referring to these two particular hens per the owner. I would suggest anyone looking for good layers not look to this breed. Anyone looking for cuddly birds probably won't be happy either. I don't plan to try to change their natural instincts. I think I covered what it took to acquire them. It took nearly of year of research and proving my sincere interest in helping preserve the birds. I mentioned that I did not pay for the birds, instead made a donation to the organization in Iceland that is trying to protect them. My new friends are retired and have no plans to transplant them around the country. They are passionate about the birds and getting them into the right hands. I sought them out not vice-versa.

Thanks for your observations and yes, I will be sure to keep updating simply because I just can't shut up.

Mary

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom