Icelandic Chickens

Pics
What a wonderful story and how lucky for the breeders that they found someone with a chicken passion to pass their birds on to! Once I'm sure my outside coops are critter proof put me on the list for some to raise - we need them on the east coast too
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Here here! I'm glad your going to keep a list for eggs, I live on the east coast too and would love a few. Nice to know they'll be hardy in our New England winters. I'd even make a donation to the group in Iceland. What a great cause.

Quote:
They are doing great. According to Sigrid, Orri never crowed at her place. Well, he has crowed here! Every time he see me he crows. Henna had been threatening to lay an egg all day and sitting in the nest box while Isi sings the egg song for her. I separated them into pairs, Orri and Lukka and Isi and Henna. That will give them more space while in quarantine.

Mary

Update:

I have three Icelandic eggs incubating. The first is on Day 8 today. I set them the day were laid because i didn't know how many I would get and i was afraid to store them. It will be a crazy staggered hatch but hopefully well worth it.

Here is the first egg when candled today! There is good veining and the eye can be seen on the opposite side. We are very excited!
wee.gif
wee.gif

34566_candlingicelandics-2.jpg

Quote:
Thanks but I need to edit to say "four" eggs in bator now. Lukka laid one this afternoon and I just brought it in. After this I am going to save them for a few days. This will be a crazier hatch than that one Kathy did last month!

Mary

Quote:
Thanks but I need to edit to say "four" eggs in bator now. Lukka laid one this afternoon and I just brought it in. After this I am going to save them for a few days. This will be a crazier hatch than that one Kathy did last month!

Mary

What are you going to do with them when they hatch?

Matthew

That is a great story and wonderful chickens. I am glad you got to participate in saving the breed. I would like to do that sometime too, not sure which endangered breed I might like to work with yet but I will have to find some that like hot humid weather lol.

" I think getting accepted into my registered nursing program was easier than getting my hands on an Icelandic hatching egg". That brings back memories lol. I got my BSN in 1996 and I remember when I applied to the program 450 students applied and only 30 got in, I was lucky enough to get into 2 programs on my first try and got my pick. It was sure tough though.
Now I have done a few courses toward my MSN. There seems to be a lot of nurses and nursing students on byc.

Back
Top Bottom