Icelandic Chickens

hahah, well since they are laying so poorly right now anyways, might as well have them working to hatch out some eggies since my incubator is full...

thanks for all the input.. do the usually go broody in a nest box? My icelandic's rarely lay in the nest box as it is, but if they are broody will they go in there?
The ones that I have which have gone broody in the corner of a barn, behind a hay feeder or under a table. I don't think they have a clue as to what a nest box is for.

I candled the eggs under my broody tonight. At least three were developing, but at least two are still clear - day 7, I think. The cracked egg is veining beautifully! I hope it can keep it up all the way to hatch, since the crack isn't terribly bad. Stay away, bacteria! Stay outta my egg!

Two of Flekka's are developing. I can't tell yet on the third. Hers are harder to see into with that tint. But I saw an eye in one and a squirming "G" in the other
celebrate.gif

I candled the eggs under my broody tonight. At least three were developing, but at least two are still clear - day 7, I think. The cracked egg is veining beautifully! I hope it can keep it up all the way to hatch, since the crack isn't terribly bad. Stay away, bacteria! Stay outta my egg!

Two of Flekka's are developing. I can't tell yet on the third. Hers are harder to see into with that tint. But I saw an eye in one and a squirming "G" in the other
celebrate.gif
clap.gif
Hope my broody stays with it too.
fl.gif

I put the eggs under her Thursday evening. I may have put too many but we will see what hatches. They are eggs from deb

Nice! Good luck
highfive.gif

Can't wait to see Flekka's chicks...what do the roos look like? Did you post the pics of them?

I did, but it was a little while ago. Here are a few pics of them:

The top one is more recent. They look very similar, but the one with the red on his back has a huge rose comb/buttercup comb, and his tail is more upright that the other boy's tail. The one without red on him has dark blue on his back, some light mottling on his breast, and a huge single comb. His sickle feathers in his tail are also longer and curvier than the other boy's. He's my alpha.

Side note, it's kind of funny.........they will both let me pet them, but the alpha screams like a girl when I pin him to catch him. The subordinate roo will let me pick him up and walk around with him, even cuddle him. They're both from Shawn (thebirdguy)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom