Icelandic Chickens

The Sheriff,
Wow, what beautiful birds!! I happened to have my computer monitor view enlarged to 200% when I landed upon your old post, the very first in this thread. The photo of 'Ici' caught my eye because I have a nearly white young cockerel and was imagining he may end up looking much the same. Then, I just happened to notice that 'Ici' has some feathers (or feather stubble) on his legs. I had been led to believe all leg feathering is a "contamination" from Asiatic breeds and an indication the bloodlines are impure. Could you please clarify this for me, because it sounds like you can be certain those particular birds are about as pure as possible: "I spoke with Sigrid this morning and she told me that my hens came directly from the veterinarian who saved them from extinction. My roosters came from a remote area off the Northeast corner of Iceland." Thank you for starting this thread, and thanks for sharing those beautiful photos.

Hi folks!

We are considering this breed, but I have a few question...

We are sharing a farm with our landlords. They have an open chicken coop and a closed chicken coop. Both are close to our property. I am interested in letting the Icelandics free range, but was wondering if they would hang out in other chicken coops? Do they often wander in to another neighbors yard? Our neighbor has a livestock hungry animal that they keep on a lead (they are thinking about rehoming him). Our other neighbor's dog brought home a grouse, so I'm wondering if he was threaten chicken lives as well, if they managed to peck around in her yard.

And lastly, there is a road between my property and the river. People drive about 45 MPH/60kmh'ish and sometimes faster. If the Icelandics free range, do you think that will be a problem? Do they learn?

As much as I want to keep this breed, I want to make sure they are safe in their new home. Thanks lots! :)

Hi folks!

We are considering this breed, but I have a few question...

We are sharing a farm with our landlords. They have an open chicken coop and a closed chicken coop. Both are close to our property. I am interested in letting the Icelandics free range, but was wondering if they would hang out in other chicken coops? Do they often wander in to another neighbors yard? Our neighbor has a livestock hungry animal that they keep on a lead (they are thinking about rehoming him). Our other neighbor's dog brought home a grouse, so I'm wondering if he was threaten chicken lives as well, if they managed to peck around in her yard.

And lastly, there is a road between my property and the river. People drive about 45 MPH/60kmh'ish and sometimes faster. If the Icelandics free range, do you think that will be a problem? Do they learn?

As much as I want to keep this breed, I want to make sure they are safe in their new home. Thanks lots! :)

You would have the same issues with ANY breed of chicken. They will wander, and if there is an opportunity, yes, they will visit your neighbor. The only way to keep chickens in your yard is with a fence. And no chicken will be wise to a road.

Hey, thanks for the info. I've got a fence around the whole perimeter, but don't think it's enough. I'll be building them an enclosed run.
That's a good idea, my Icelandic are quite the flyers. We had one we couldn't keep from roosting way up one of our trees until a hawk attack. Luckily the hawk dropped the hen and it wasn't injured, but the next day the aviary net went up. We had it for more than a year but never got around to putting it up.

. One of my pullets from my broody hen hatched on 8/27 had 6 total 4 pullets and two roos

Back
Top Bottom