I'd love to have a hatching buddy?

My last hatch was an epic fail. I had all kinds of trouble. From the post loosing my package of eggs for 5 days to a power outage on day 17. None hatched. I was so disappointed. But the breeder is gathering more eggs for me this weekend. I paid for express shipping. Should have them by Tuesday or Wednesday!

Congrats everyone on the babies! Lovkdown for my incubator eggs is tomorrow, woo! Now to get the humidity high enough for ducks to hatch. And of course now that I'm almost done hatching, I have another broody hen who decided that late September is just the perfect time to hatch chicks, lol.

Well this is how the hatcheries do it, they wing sex, the boys will have the same size wing pins and and girls different sizes. But in order to do this you have to breed a slow feathering rooster to a fast feathering hen, so hatcheries breeder flocks are all specifically chosen with slow feathering roos over fast feathering hens for the ability to wing sex. you won't be able to just breed a roo and hen at home and be able to wing sex, people tend to think that is the case, I see people selling chicks hatched at home on craigslist as females but they really are selling straight runs because it's not a reliable way to sex unless you are sure your rooster is slow feathering and the hen is fast feathering. this is why I'm leaning toward auto sexing breeds now like rhodebars and welsummers
smile.png
You've obviously done your homework!
I've got Red Sex-links, and have read that the male chicks are noticeably lighter-colored at hatching than the females. Is that so?

You've obviously done your homework!
I've got Red Sex-links, and have read that the male chicks are noticeably lighter-colored at hatching than the females. Is that so?

Yes, but only if you're making real red sex links. Two red sex links bred together just make mutts and their offspring don't have any sex linked traits. But if you were to breed, say, a rhode island red rooster with a rhode island white hen, their offspring would be red sex links, and the females would hatch with reddish down and the males with yellow and white-ish down.

Last edited:
Yes, but only if you're making real red sex links. Two red sex links bred together just make mutts and their offspring don't have any sex linked traits. But if you were to breed, say, a rhode island red rooster with a rhode island white hen, their offspring would be red sex links, and the females would hatch with reddish down and the males with yellow and white-ish down.
Hmmm...Well, in that case, hard to tell what I'll wind up with, if anything. The birds in question are the ones in my avatar, the rooster being the white one. They're what I got when I ordered RID's from Southern States! Great layers, though.

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been absent. I broke my foot Friday. My 1 & 2 week old babies are doing great and I went on lockdown last night for my 9 eggs. Bumped up humidity and heat has been steady. We should see some pipping any day now!
First chick of the first batch has hatched and another egg looks like it was pipping. These are the shipped eggs I put under my bantam Cochin. The chick looks like a white silkie. I had about convinced myself nothing was going to hatch (even though hatch day isn't technically until tomorrow). Now I can stop worrying and look forward to seeing who else hatches.
How exciting! I can't wait to see photos of them all!
This poor little clutch of eggs... Okay, so you know the eggs hatching this Wednesday? So I had them under three different hens about ten eggs under each. One hen abandoned her clutch, so I moved them under a different broody. This morning, that broody abandoned them too! They are now in the incubator...seriously girls! The other two hens are doing great :-D
I'm sorry about the hens not sitting. Have you candled lately? What day are you on now?
The first half of my hatch is complete. My broody hatched 4 chicks from some shipped eggs. The other half (local eggs) are in the incubator slated to hatch in a week. The white silkie chick she hatched is pretty cute:
that baby is adorable! When does lockdown start?
Anyone setting on the 1st or 2nd of September?
I'm done for the year, but can't wait to follow your progress!
I'm setting on the first!!!
who hoo!
My last hatch was an epic fail. I had all kinds of trouble. From the post loosing my package of eggs for 5 days to a power outage on day 17. None hatched. I was so disappointed. But the breeder is gathering more eggs for me this weekend. I paid for express shipping. Should have them by Tuesday or Wednesday!
I'm so sorry ;( Fingers crossed this next time!
Hey all, 5 out so far and a ton more eggs pipped. Looks like it's gonna be a great hatch :)
post pics when you can ;)
Congrats everyone on the babies! Lovkdown for my incubator eggs is tomorrow, woo! Now to get the humidity high enough for ducks to hatch. And of course now that I'm almost done hatching, I have another broody hen who decided that late September is just the perfect time to hatch chicks, lol.
that happened here too. Now I have a Banty that thinks she's going to sit. How many is your sitting on?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom