ID plez

michaelf1478

Songster
7 Years
Nov 26, 2013
Purchased these chicks today at local feed store, were sold to me as araucana. After alot of reading today I learned that I may have Easter eggers. Doesn't really matter to me because I'd have got them anyways, I'm just curious and don't want to go around saying I have araucana when I don't.

Easter Eggers. Feed stores source their chicks from hatcheries. There is not a single hatchery that has true Araucana, they are only available from breeders. There are a handful of hatcheries that have true Ameraucana. The majority have misrepresented Easter Eggers.
The easiest way to tell if you've got Easter Eggers is price and color/variety. If the chicks cost about the same as the other breeds being offered, they are Easter Eggers. Ameraucana and Araucana cost a lot more than the average chick. Also, if no color or variety is specified, they are Easter Eggers.

Last edited:
They are very nice chicks regardless, hope you will post new photos when they have feathered out at about 6-8 weeks. I think they will be beautiful

Purchased these chicks today at local feed store, were sold to me as araucana. After alot of reading today I learned that I may have Easter eggers. Doesn't really matter to me because I'd have got them anyways, I'm just curious and don't want to go around saying I have araucana when I don't.

Did you get them at minton?

I got mine there.. They said they use a local breeder since they're such a small feed and seed store. And mine look spot on to pictures of Araucuna chicks. They looked like yours at first, but now they're fluff balls with fluffy chipmunk cheeks. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom