ID plez

I got mine there.. They said they use a local breeder since they're such a small feed and seed store. And mine look spot on to pictures of Araucuna chicks. They looked like yours at first, but now they're fluff balls with fluffy chipmunk cheeks. Lol.
Araucana do not have fluffy cheek muffs. Araucana have 'tufts', which are like normal feathers, but they grow out, just underneath the ears.

Araucana do not have fluffy cheek muffs. Araucana have 'tufts', which are like normal feathers, but they grow out, just underneath the ears. 

Well fluffy may not have been the right word. They have puffed out. Side burns that look like they're on their cheeks.. We know I'm the furthest thing from an expert. I just know when i compared them to Araucuna chicks, they matched.

Well fluffy may not have been the right word. They have puffed out. Side burns that look like they're on their cheeks.. We know I'm the furthest thing from an expert. I just know when i compared them to Araucuna chicks, they matched.
It's the Ameraucana that have the fluffy muffs. And that's another indicator that you have Easter Eggers, if the people breeding them have no clue what the difference is between Araucana and Ameraucana.

Did you compare them to pictures from the Araucana Breeder site or did you google "Araucana chick?" The tuffs on an Araucana chick are not on their cheeks; they are further back on the head behind the eye. Here is a picture taken from the The Araucana Club of America. It's kind of hard to see so here is the site I pulled it from. http://www.araucana.net/black-araucana-apa-and-aba/

If you just compared it to a Google image there is a very good chance someone else bought an EE labelled as an Araucana and is now perpetuating the false idea that the bird is an Araucana. I'd say that easily half of the images that come up are EEs.

A reputable true Araucana breeder would know the color of their birds and would inform the buyer. If they were purchased from a local breeder the store should have no problem contacting them and asking the color verity of the chicks.

Last edited:
Did you compare them to pictures from the Araucana Breeder site or did you google "Araucana chick?" The tuffs on an Araucana chick are not on their cheeks; they are further back on the head behind the eye. Here is a picture taken from the The Araucana Club of America. It's kind of hard to see so here is the site I pulled it from. http://www.araucana.net/black-araucana-apa-and-aba/ If you just compared it to a Google image there is a very good chance someone else bought an EE labelled as an Araucana and is now perpetuating the false idea that the bird is an Araucana. I'd say that easily half of the images that come up are EEs. A reputable true Araucana breeder would know the color of their birds and would inform the buyer. If they were purchased from a local breeder the store should have no problem contacting them and asking the color verity of the chicks.
I googled it but i didn't google image it. I went through multiple sources. I wish I coukd get a good picture because I'd also love to know for sure or not. They have a patch of solid white hair that stands out opposite from other hair. Maybe 1/2 an inch or so behind their eye. I'll be happy either way, just would love to know.

I googled it but i didn't google image it. I went through multiple sources. I wish I coukd get a good picture because I'd also love to know for sure or not. They have a patch of solid white hair that stands out opposite from other hair. Maybe 1/2 an inch or so behind their eye. I'll be happy either way, just would love to know.

Well I won't say it's impossible because I got my Blue Ameraucana from a small independent feed store that got them from a small hatchery. Your best bet is still to contact the feed store and find out where they got the chicks from.

Well I won't say it's impossible because I got my Blue Ameraucana from a small independent feed store that got them from a small hatchery. Your best bet is still to contact the feed store and find out where they got the chicks from.

I'm going to go by there this weekend to find out. My husband said they said they were sure it was araucuna and they even told him they weren't common and they were special. But I'm going to double check anyway. Just so we know instead of guessing.

Back
Top Bottom