Ideas for Keeping rain out

Wow! I wish I had seen this before assembling the shed! Great ideas! I won't be able to do the rooftop thing (just not that talented) but I can try putting in louvered vents in front and back, and changing door windows to hardware cloth. Thank you!

Here in the Steamy Southeast it's hard to have too much ventilation, even in the winter, unless the wind is blowing across the roosts. :)

You can see my coop in this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

In the winter (or for hurricanes), I put a tarp up on part of the fully-open wall to keep direct storm winds off the roosts.

I don't have a resin shed/coop but just to give some more visuals on the importance of ventilation I'll add my 2 cents.

I live in a similar hot steamy climate as 3KillerBs so ventilation was pretty important to me when building my coop.

I only have 6 birds but I wanted more than the minimum ventilation requirements. I have roughly 6 10"x24" natural openings, 3 on the front and 3 on the back, from the roof overhang. On paper that would seem like enough for 6 birds but I went further.

As you can see in the pictures there are 6 (3 on the front and 3 on the back) roughly 4"x24" vents on the front and back walls just below the overhang of the roof.

In addition to that there is a 2ft wide opening above the door to the coop.

Windows at normal height are not ventilation. What you want is the ability for air to pass through UP HIGH.

Good luck with your modifications.

20221023_155142.jpg
20221023_155110.jpg
20221106_154852.jpg
20221106_154839.jpg
20221106_154653.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have a resin shed/coop but just to give some more visuals on the importance of ventilation I'll add my 2 cents.

I live in a similar hot steamy climate as 3KillerBs so ventilation was pretty important to me when building my coop.

I only have 6 birds but I wanted more than the minimum ventilation requirements. I have roughly 6 10"x24" natural openings, 3 on the front and 3 on the back, from the roof overhang. On paper that would seem like enough for 6 birds but I went further.

As you can see in the pictures there are 6 (3 on the front and 3 on the back) roughly 4"x24" vents on the front and back walls just below the overhang of the roof.

In addition to that there is a 2ft wide opening above the door to the coop.

Windows at normal height are not ventilation. What you want is the ability for air to pass through UP HIGH.

Good luck with your modifications.

View attachment 3314703View attachment 3314704View attachment 3314712View attachment 3314716View attachment 3314718

Have you made a coop page for that yet? It's a wonderful build!

Back
Top Bottom